PDA

View Full Version : Polishing.....I may have found the holy grail....

Tabby66
08-10-2014, 09:09 PM
Based on Carole's "Jool Tool" post and this comment from me...:just looked up the Rhino Finger skins Carole and since I am currently suffering 2 buffed away and bleeding thumbs I have to say they look very impressive......green tape has mostly done the job today and will be well used tomorrow!!!"

And...Wallace's link to this...http://www.rhinoknives.com/styled-3/index.html.....they arrived today....2 hours of polishing and my pinkies are unblemished, intact, not scorched, NO BLOOD.....had fantastic hold and feel of my work....achieved results more quickly,.......THE BEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD methinks!!!!!!

Tabby =D>=D>

caroleallen
08-10-2014, 09:11 PM
Ooh, I ordered mine from Rio Grande, so hopefully they'll arrive soon. Am excited now!

CJ57
08-10-2014, 10:02 PM
Where did you buy them Jill, Wallace's link is no longer working?

camalidesign
08-10-2014, 10:25 PM
http://www.rhinoknives.com/styled-3/index.html

Tabby66
09-10-2014, 08:35 PM
Direct from the above link, charged $6.55 postage.....fantastic!!!

caroleallen
10-10-2014, 02:44 PM
Mine have come. They're better than the leather ones but not perfect when polishing tiny things which get hot very quickly. We're experimenting with them plus vet wrap now! They're also very tricky to get on.

rhinofingerskins
10-10-2014, 10:45 PM
Mine have come. They're better than the leather ones but not perfect when polishing tiny things which get hot very quickly. We're experimenting with them plus vet wrap now! They're also very tricky to get on.

Caroeallen,
I just bagged up your second set for posting this evening.
Rhino Finger Skins are made of a surgical grade Neoprene that stretches both directions.

I am a custom knife maker and I tried of having burnt sore spots in the middle of my thumbs and those leather cots would heat up to much especially if they got wet. I grind my blades after they have been heat treated so dunking the blade before each pass is a must. I found this material and thru trial and a lot of error can up with a form fitting design that would protect my thumbs and index fingers and could take the moisture. Actually you can wash RFS in a machine or with a dad of dish soap and place them in an open window to dry.

They will take a 400 degree soldering iron and not burn. Though you can burn them with open flame, sparks etc.

They will feel very snug when you first put them on but will relax after you wear them a few times. I have gotten great feedback on using RFS while cleaning up findings on a 5" grinding wheel as well as protection while doing buffer work.

I am in the process of making a large size for those people with thicker digits and I welcome all feedback from users in the knife making & Jewelry industries as well as any wood carvers that fine them useful.

I am working with the good folks at the parent company of Cooksongold and they are in the process of becoming my overseas distributor.

I wish to say hello to all participants here and will do my best to share any knowledge I may be able to share with you.

Laurence

CJ57
10-10-2014, 11:16 PM
Hi Laurence
I've just ordered mine and apparently they are on their way so I'm excited about their arrival. Will let you know how I get on

camalidesign
11-10-2014, 10:03 AM
Hi Laurence,

Welcome to the forum! Nice with a supplier that takes such a keen interest in user feedback! Looking forward to Cookson stocking these...

Carin

mizgeorge
11-10-2014, 11:48 AM
Hi Laurence - glad you found us :)

rhinofingerskins
11-10-2014, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome.

I do have some of the finger skins available if anyone wants some or you can get them from rio grande as well if you wish to purchase other supplies. It will be approximately 30-40 days before Cooksongold & companies take delivery.

I am always open to feed back so that I can refine the best product possible for the needs of the craftspeople.

Artisans that do a lot of small file work and Graver work have also reported that they give excellent protection along with almost full dexterity.

So,
What different tasks have you people used them for so far?

Thanks.
Laurence

Tabby66
11-10-2014, 07:50 PM
Hi Laurence,
Good to see you here!!!!

I've just emailed you following delivery of my rhino finger skins on Thursday,.....as you can see, I was (am) impressed!!! I posted my delight on the forum before getting around to replying to you about them.....apologies!!!

Great to hear that Cookies will be stocking them!!

Best wishes,
Jill

caroleallen
11-10-2014, 08:15 PM
I don't think that I'll ever find anything that will protect my fingers when I'm polishing small items as they heat up so quickly. I need something thick enough to protect my fingers, yet still giving me good grip. The Rhinoskins are good for larger items though. I wonder whether kevlar or silicon would work?

enigma
11-10-2014, 09:39 PM
I can't wear gloves at all so I just have several pieces to do at once and switch from one to another when they get hot.

rhinofingerskins
12-10-2014, 02:01 PM
I don't think that I'll ever find anything that will protect my fingers when I'm polishing small items as they heat up so quickly. I need something thick enough to protect my fingers, yet still giving me good grip. The Rhinoskins are good for larger items though. I wonder whether kevlar or silicon would work?

Caroleallen,
I don't see Kevlar giving you any touch sensation but am always interested in hearing how products work. Please let me know if you find a Kevlar product?

Could you possibly post a picture so I can see how small these little items are? Put a small measuring steel next to them for size? You are able to do rings and such on a grinding/polishing, with the Rhino Skins,correct?

caroleallen
12-10-2014, 02:14 PM
There are lots of little things - pendants and earrings which measure from 15mm to 25mm and are mainly flat. Rings aren't a problem.

Patstone
13-10-2014, 07:03 AM
I dont have a problem with heat, most of my stuff is hand polished, i.e with a cloth and silver polish, because mine is only a hobby, but I find that my fingers get filed, ouch. I will give them a try when Cookies stock them, but I wont need hundreds, a couple would last me for years.

Tabby66
14-10-2014, 09:18 PM
a little bit of learning to share.......so having used the skins for a few (3 major) polishing sessions (bench polisher with calico mops and menzerna), and a couple of buffing sessions, (with a roll of 600 grit or finer buff paper in a foredoom hand piece) and pieces ranging from approx 10mmx10mm to 35x20mm.....

firstly (and having checked with Laurence)....the skins are made for heat resistance.....not buffing or filing away.....though I did use them for heat resistance in the buffing process, inevitably the skins came in to contact with the buff paper....that wears them!!!

In terms of heat resistance they are second to none, I would also say the same in terms of dexterity Sarah,.....I have never used anything other than a bit of tape (very occasionally)on my fingers, in fact I have been rather anti due to the dexterity issues that I have experienced with a variety of products over the years,...but I was so fed up with bleeding thumb and finger tips recently that I decided to try these.....

they are most definitely the best I have ever tried, I have needed to adjust the position of the seam for the smaller more intricate items, these items are definitely more difficult, but I found that if I do a few, it becomes much easier!!

Another session of the teeny items tomorrow,.....will let you know how I get on!!!!!!

Tabby xx