PDA

View Full Version : Liver of Sulphur Disposal

lolabead
06-10-2014, 08:53 AM
I just want to check that I understand the correct procedure for this. A lot of the advice given on the net is for the USA not UK.

If I oxidise copper is it then safe to neutralise the sulphur bath with plenty of baking soda, leave stored away in a safe place for a few days, while the liquid becomes clear. Once clear is safe to put on the garden??

many thanks

Dennis
06-10-2014, 11:37 AM
Well the USA is on our planet too, so I think we can follow the advice with confidence. Neutralise it with a bicarbonate of soda or soda crystal solution, which you have already been using and leave it out of doors to give off its free hydrogen sulphide. The remainder will be mainly potassium carbonate and bicarbonate in water, which is good for plants, particularly tomaitos.

Dennis.

lolabead
07-10-2014, 06:48 AM
thanks Dennis - what I meant about USA is there may have been some environmental stipulation about this in this country that wouldn't be in US

Dennis
07-10-2014, 08:04 AM
:-"
thanks Dennis - what I meant about USA is there may have been some environmental stipulation about this in this country that wouldn't be in US

Just winding you up a bit. That's how I am-sorry. :-"

CJ57
07-10-2014, 11:50 AM
If you leave it for a few days in whatever vessel you have it in it loses its colour and no longer works. As its a couple of drops I've been flushing it down the sink as its no more concentrated than if you are rinsing off your piece of work under the tap to neutralise it. I may be wrong of course:)

camalidesign
07-10-2014, 02:00 PM
I don't use LOS anymore but when I did I just used to leave it in the open container outside and when it's gone whiteish it's neutralised and you can just pour it away, or so I think at least :)

CArin

lolabead
07-10-2014, 04:17 PM
:-"

Just winding you up a bit. That's how I am-sorry. :-"

sorry for sense of humour failure!

lolabead
07-10-2014, 04:18 PM
I don't use LOS anymore but when I did I just used to leave it in the open container outside and when it's gone whiteish it's neutralised and you can just pour it away, or so I think at least :)

CArin

Carin do you still oxodise and if so do you mind me asking what you use instead? I am as careful as possible when I use LOS but if I'm honest I'm always slightly anxious about it.

CJ57
07-10-2014, 06:01 PM
I use Platinol now but you still have to be careful, I wear gloves and glasses in case of splashes but then I'm a bit careful:) and remember not to use bristle brushes as they just dissolve.

Dennis
07-10-2014, 07:17 PM
If your budget allows folks, don't neglect to try Noirit from Cooksons. It is odourless and at exactly the right dilution to use straight from the bottle. The colour builds up slowly over about two minutes, without any flakiness.

The resultant patination has a slight sheen and I think waxing is probably redundant. Although you have to buy a litre, it is very good value for money compared with Platinol.

Dennis.