PDA

View Full Version : Can you help a novice?

05-10-2014, 07:35 PM
Hi folks, I have been playing with PMC for a couple of months now and absolutely love it, although it's turning into an expensive hobby! I think I would like to venture into the fingerprint market as there is nobody doing it locally to us, and after speaking to a few mums, they are really interested. So, I have bought a lot of kit, but haven't been brave enough yet to try liver of sulphur. From reading all these really useful threads on here it seems that the following is the best approach, but can anyone confirm if I have this in the right order or if there is anything else I should be doing?

After firing:
Polish item (I have bought a dremel for this)
Brush on Patinol on fingerprint/wording area (or should I dip the whole piece?)
Rinse in cold water
Soak in bicarb of soda and water to stop Patinol further developing (?) is this correct??
Polish again to final finish
Use a wax such as Renaissance wax to coat the final piece
Rub with silver cloth or sunshine cloth?
Finished!? Or is there more?
Many thanks, any advice very much appreciated x

Tabby66
05-10-2014, 08:45 PM
I can't be of help with PMC or fingerprint jewellery, but I have used LOS....

Firstly, I would recommend using "Platinol"....you get a much more even colour and I would also say it is a darker colour...(though others may suggest 'how to' with LOS).....when I patinate pieces, I tend to brush the platinol on to the surface I want to colour (Or dip the whole piece if it is mostly required to be patinated) and then rinse in cold water, dry, polish the raised surface highlights and use renaissance wax to protect the finish.

caroleallen
06-10-2014, 09:48 PM
I left a comment on your other thread.