PDA

View Full Version : question about hallmarking

flowerpecker
03-10-2014, 01:56 PM
hi there,
just registered myself in edinburg assay

question
1.did the assay keep your metal punch?
2.did you still hallmarked an item that is less than 7.78g?

thank you

Keia
03-10-2014, 02:23 PM
Yes to both, also with Edinburgh office here =)

enigma
03-10-2014, 03:10 PM
Yes to 1 and sometimes to 2 but its optional :)

SteveLAO
03-10-2014, 03:47 PM
The punch belongs to you so you can keep the punch if you like or you can ask the assay office to keep it for you and apply your mark on your behalf every time you send in your items. The sponsor's punch is the only part of the hallmark that you can apply yourself. If you are going to keep the punch and you're sending in items to the assay office, you MUST apply your own sponsor's mark BEFORE you send in your items. The assay office will not release your goods unless there is a complete hallmark applied. You can of course choose to keep your punch and send in the punch with your goods every time you send to the assay office, requesting that they return the punch back to you when they have finished if you want to keep the punch at home.
I have to say at London 99% of our customers leave their punch with us all the time though!
The 7.78g weight limit relates only to silver items, and silver items under this weight do not need a hallmark in order to comply with the act. Of course if you wish you can have them marked anyway, and many people do, but there is no requirement to do so.

flowerpecker
03-10-2014, 05:01 PM
thanks you guys,im bit confused with the hallmarking for less than 7.78g coz additional payment,registering itself is bit pricey..

is that rigth 10 to 25 item is 21.50 for charge in hallmarking?then additional payment for posting

Tabby66
03-10-2014, 06:35 PM
You have the choice whether to pay for silver items below 7.78g to be hallmarked or not, you can sell them as silver below this weight, there is no legal requirement to have items below this weight hallmarked.

You will find rates vary a little more than that....there is a minimum price per hall note (this varies at each assay office), if you send 1 item in it will cost you this much plus postage. The more items you send the more make up the minimum charge.....but it depends on the type of item.....there is a different charge for brooches, earrings, necklaces, etc....once over the minimum charge you get charged per item, plus additional charge for year date and other optional marks.....plus postage.

....hope this helps rather than confuses!!!

pearlescence
04-10-2014, 05:40 AM
They may have changed the method since I last sent stuff in but the invoice from the LAO is so complicated it took my accountant some time to work out the method and whether it was correct.

flowerpecker
04-10-2014, 09:00 AM
thank you guys,appreciated your help

CJ57
04-10-2014, 11:06 AM
hi there,
just registered myself in edinburg assay

question
1.did the assay keep your metal punch?
2.did you still hallmarked an item that is less than 7.78g?

thank you

Hi FP
I've been with the Edinburgh office for 35 years and they are now a really helpful and friendly place to be. You can either leave your punch with them and get them to stamp your mark for you if you aren't confident, you need to mark it on your piece with a pen or you keep it and mark it yourself before sending it off.
As the others have said its up to you about marking pieces under 7.78g. I've found them to be quite cheap just don't send one piece in or you'll have to pay the minimum charge. Also remember that earrings count as 2 if you are trying to make up numbers to the next level of pricing.
I'm just about to renew my punches and as you say it's a costly thing, I would have liked to change the design of mine but that costs even more so having to stick with the same. I'm going to have to phone Doreen though as I can't seem to match
the size of mine to the chart. Don't hesitate in phoning them, all the girls in the office are really friendly and helpful and no question is too stupid as I'm always asking them!!

Keia
04-10-2014, 12:07 PM
I always send out 30 plus items in each packet, that way the cost spreads out over each each item ;)

flowerpecker
10-10-2014, 02:56 PM
thanks for your advice guys