PDA

View Full Version : With Knobs On...

Di Sandland
30-08-2009, 09:20 AM
So, if I wanted to make a torc style bracelet from thick gauge wire (please don't guffaw at this question) can I make knobs in the same way as I make knobs on my headpins? By that I mean just by using my torch.

I'm guessing the answer will be no but I can't quite work out how else to do it. :confused:

mizgeorge
30-08-2009, 09:27 AM
I'd make the knobs separately (either hollow or solid - you can even adapt a silver bead) and just solder them on Di.

You can ball up wire of pretty heavy gauges, but it takes a lot of heat, and they're liable to pit, unless you use fine silver, which is too soft for bangles. On top of that, you'd have effectively annealed the wire in the process, and I don't think it would be hard enough for a torque.

Di Sandland
30-08-2009, 09:48 AM
I'd make the knobs separately (either hollow or solid - you can even adapt a silver bead) and just solder them on Di.

You can ball up wire of pretty heavy gauges, but it takes a lot of heat, and they're liable to pit, unless you use fine silver, which is too soft for bangles. On top of that, you'd have effectively annealed the wire in the process, and I don't think it would be hard enough for a torque.

Thanks George - I didn't think I'd be able to do it - even though I didn't know why I thought that. Thanks for the suggestions; will give it a go.

Lindyloo
30-08-2009, 06:16 PM
There was another post on this topic. Can't remember where, but I think there were some instructions too. #-o

Di Sandland
30-08-2009, 09:13 PM
Thanks Lindyloo - I'll have a trawl tomorrow.

Solunar Silver Studio
30-08-2009, 09:29 PM
There was another post on this topic. Can't remember where, but I think there were some instructions too. #-o

I don't know if you mean the torque bracelet thread Linda http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=528&highlight=torque

...in which case you already have the book with the instructions Di...the Woven Wire Jewelry one...!!:dance: