PDA

View Full Version : polishing cloth

flowerpecker
29-09-2014, 06:09 PM
hi there,
need advice about silver polishing cloth,what is the best polishing cloth to use?
thank you

Dennis
29-09-2014, 07:21 PM
The Goddards polishing cloth does well enough for most jobs and is available from Hardware stores, supermarkets and department stores, or on-line.

Some members like the Sunshine Cloth, which is rather more messy as it is heavily charged with polish and feels unpleasant to the fingers.

All these cloths are useful for a quick freshen up, but won't get into crevices. They will also lightly remove patination, after using LOS, so can brighten the highlights for an antique effect.

A deeper clean for tarnished silver, copper and brass can be achieved with Goddards Silver Dip, but some members intuitively disapprove of this.

Lastly anti-tarnish tabs, widely available on line will keep items free from discolouration if in a closed container or bag. Town Talk brand are a good option, because they are printed to explain what they do. Dennis

Tabby66
29-09-2014, 08:14 PM
I use a teeny tiny bit of this http://www.suttontools.co.uk/menzerna-polishing-cream.html with a soft polishing cloth,....smear it on and rub it off....great to brighten anything up pre-fairs or sending out!!

SteveLAO
30-09-2014, 09:19 AM
Just remember to keep the cloth clean and free from ANY bits of "stuff" or you will scratch the item you're polishing. Keep the cloth in a plastic bag and don't put it down anywhere. I know it's obvious, but it is easy to forget and end up with a scratch on your items :(

flowerpecker
01-10-2014, 06:18 AM
Thank you very much guys.

flowerpecker
01-10-2014, 06:22 AM
Thank you Steve lao it is true simple things like this can cause a lot of damaged ��

flowerpecker
01-10-2014, 06:23 AM
Thank u I get one of this

flowerpecker
01-10-2014, 06:24 AM
I need to buy the anti tarnish tab,gutted not keeping those tabs when Im buying new bag..��