PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on how to set this?

enigma
21-09-2014, 10:02 PM
Its only me asking questions again, sorry :">

Ive been commissioned to do a somewhat unusual pendant ( for me anyway) and have most of it worked out but not quite sure how best to set the stone.
The silver will be cast probably so can be shaped to fit around but the stone is to be an emerald which I was thinking of drilling and putting silver wire through from top to bottom but any better ideas appreciated.
This is the emerald:

Dennis
22-09-2014, 07:35 AM
Hi Sarah,

If you try to drill those emeralds, you will almost certainly break them as they are the most fragile of stones.

The most basic way to set them is to make a back plate of the same shape, with some of the middle cut out to allow the culet (if there is one) to pass through and make a seat for the girdle. This will leave you with a narrow backing frame, which can be slightly domed, or if made in wax adapted to the back of the stone.

Then just 4-5 claws, or a soft (soldered on) bezel to rub down, being very careful of the pointy ends. Dennis.

Goldsmith
22-09-2014, 08:09 AM
I agree with Dennis, emeralds are very fragile and expert setters often make mistakes and chip them while setting. I cannot visualise the pendant design you show. If you can do a pencil sketch we may be able to give better advice on methods of adding the emerald.

James

mizgeorge
22-09-2014, 08:27 AM
Another one here who wouldn't try to alter the stones at all.

I think I can see the effect you're after, but with the sharp edges to the stones, I suspect a bezelled edge attached to the 'stem' at the bottom would probably be the way to go. Simply make a ring of fine silver to fit around the edge of the entire stone, solder it to the stem, and rub over both sides - which would protect the stone to an extent and also allow it to be free standing. Alternatively, a cage with claws front and back might work, but the tip would be vulnerable.

I don't know if you're planning to add the 'petals' in silver, but this could easily be incorporated with a bezel.

enigma
22-09-2014, 08:34 AM
Thanks very much Dennis James and George
I can't set it into a bezel as he wants the pointed end to be clear of the silver but a claw setting could work I think as the silver can come just past the widest point.
Im wondering now if I should have got something other than emerald but couldn't find anything else the right shape and colour :(
I do at least have spare so can afford to mess up a bit.

enigma
22-09-2014, 08:42 AM
So do you guys think the emerald is just going to get broken if the tip is left exposed ad the customer wants?
Should I maybe try and find a synthetic stone?

Wallace
22-09-2014, 11:15 AM
So do you guys think the emerald is just going to get broken if the tip is left exposed ad the customer wants?
Should I maybe try and find a synthetic stone?

Can you not tension set it into place? Or, as G suggests, make it with a pressure setting.

You have a wider choice if you go for a synthetic or grown, and probably could get an amazing vibrancy from using a cZ.

enigma
22-09-2014, 11:29 AM
Thanks Wallace

Where would be the best place to look for the right shape CZ ?
Ive not found anything yet but may well be a better idea.

Wallace
22-09-2014, 11:42 AM
Thanks Wallace

Where would be the best place to look for the right shape CZ ?
Ive not found anything yet but may well be a better idea.

Hope it is useful. Not sure if this is any good?
http://www.wardgemstones.com/pear-cubic-zirconia-peridot.html

enigma
22-09-2014, 01:08 PM
Thanks Wallace

Peridot is the wrong colour green for the customer, what about Alpinite? would that be more robust?

enigma
22-09-2014, 01:11 PM
Or 'hard mass glass' ?
http://www.wardgemstones.com/20x15-pear-hard-mass-glass.html

It needs to be large too thats the other aspect.

Wallace
22-09-2014, 01:24 PM
Or 'hard mass glass' ?
http://www.wardgemstones.com/20x15-pear-hard-mass-glass.html

It needs to be large too thats the other aspect.

Wards have a huge array of sparklies and I picked one link to get you started. Just a thought though, would a specially made glass one be of any use. There are so many fab glass artists about that are so skilled and fabulous. Even worth asking if they could make a hole in it where you need too.

enigma
22-09-2014, 01:31 PM
Oh, hadn't even thought of that, could be an idea thanks Wallace.
Where would I find one? Etsy?
Although cost might be an issue as funds are limited :/

Wallace
22-09-2014, 02:33 PM
G makes glass things and would know someone, more likely than not.

:D

enigma
22-09-2014, 02:40 PM
Oh didn't realise that thanks very much Wallace :)

mizgeorge
22-09-2014, 02:46 PM
You could actually do even better than a hole if you wanted - you cold have an emerald green glass headpin made which you could incorporate directly into the design.

Linda Newman does a nice job on this sort of thing - might be worth dropping her an etsy convo (!!!) to see if she could do something for you?

https://www.etsy.com/shop/earthshinebeads

enigma
22-09-2014, 03:43 PM
Oh fab ! thanks George! I will send her a *message* LOL

enigma
23-09-2014, 03:51 PM
She can't do it, I think maybe because its faceted :(

I don't think a pear shape stone would work either as don't they all have flat backs? I know the ones I have used did.
Thats why I got the emeralds as they are cut all round.
I have managed to drill 2 small holes but still worried about whether the tip will be too fragile exposed if I set the middle and top and have the tip as he wants it, any more thoughts on that anybody?
Thanks

Wallace
23-09-2014, 04:46 PM
I think, he will have to be asked the question and go from there.

Tabby66
23-09-2014, 07:33 PM
The exposed tip will be very vulnerable Sarah.....I wouldn't do it!! Can it have a V shaped claw to protect it??

enigma
23-09-2014, 08:00 PM
Thanks Wallace and Tabby I will go back and speak with the customer I think, so frustrating!

Tabby66
23-09-2014, 08:17 PM
They will be happier in the end Sarah,....your advice regarding what is possible, limitations and any risks is protecting their investment (as well as protecting you from complaints and additional costs)...

enigma
23-09-2014, 08:19 PM
You are right thanks Tabby,
Its just frustrating because I know he wants it *exactly* as it is in the photos.
I have just found a resin mould on Cookies though which I think may do the job ! not been able to find faceted ones before.

Nick martin
09-10-2014, 06:01 AM
What about a wire 'basket setting' as per the suggestion from Tabby with a solid 'V' shaped tip on the end?

That way it would allow a lot of light through the stone, and protect the fragile tip part.

Other than Wards, gemcollector is another good site for stones and the product images are extrememly well laid out so you can tell pretty much exactly what you're buying beforehand.

Failing that, it may just be a case of asking the customer to be realistic and explaining the pitfalls of using an emerald ( I.E. the fragility ) and then perhaps suggesting another stone. Ultimately though its your customers money isnt it, but if it were me I'd make the scenario cystal clear in order to avoid any future complaints if the stone chipped!

Nick

enigma
09-10-2014, 08:18 AM
Thanks Nick ,

They really didn't want anything around the point of the stone so we have gone for making it in resin.
Not easy given that its faceted and I couldn't find a suitable mould anywhere! ( Cookies do one but it was too big ).
Nearly done now though, just waiting for the 'gem' to finish curing. :)

enigma
22-10-2014, 12:57 PM
Finally got them both finished!
the customer is happy so thats the main thing :) The resin 'stones' are also quite robust, Ive dropped them several times, just to er, check LOL

Tabby66
22-10-2014, 09:33 PM
Nice work Sarah!!!