PDA

View Full Version : Making My Wedding Ring Smaller

llamacat
29-08-2009, 04:43 PM
Hi - I have another question. This is not something to do with my own jewellery making ambitions, but something which is distressing me a lot.
I have lost a huge amount of weight recently, which has resulted in my engagement and wedding rings being way too big for me - they keep slipping off and I'm frightened of losing them.
I don't want to have a permanent re-sizing done, as I am not wholely confident that the weight will stay off, and to have them cut to resize would be really problematic, as they are made of 3 strips of white gold/red gold/platinum in a wavy pattern, and the engagement ring has diamonds set in all the way round, so you can see the problems there.
What I wondered is whether there is any sort of insert that can be put into the inside of the ring, that would not necessarily be permanent? It probably sounds sacrilegious to ask that - they are expensive and beautiful rings - but I can't bear the thought of having them cut to be smaller, losing the continuity of the designs, and then finding out in a few years' time that they have become too small again. I have checked my sizing, and whereas the rings are size N, my finger is now almost a size K - so it's a huge difference.
But I think I would rather have some sort of temporary resizing device at the moment, until I find out whether the weight loss is permanent!!
If anybody has any bright ideas I would be very grateful, meanwhile I shall either have to wear them on a chain around my neck or on my middle finger, since today I have just discovered they fit over that knuckle now.
Thanks.........[-o<

Di Sandland
29-08-2009, 04:57 PM
not a 'professional' answer but my mum used to wear something called a 'sizer' in her rings. It was just a piece of clear flexible plastic that clipped on and thereby made the diameter smaller. I don't know if they're still available or even if they could be used for such a size differential.

Maybe Ben or one of the other 'jobbing' jewellers will know the answer.

Matp85
29-08-2009, 04:58 PM
hmm is see two options

1) there are inserts you can get that wrap around the ring to make a tighter fitting and they are not permanent.

2) you can solder gold balls on the inside of the shank to make a tighter fitting although soldered they can be removed and the solder filled and cleaned.

caroleallen
29-08-2009, 08:46 PM
Or you could line the rings with smaller rings.

ben b
29-08-2009, 10:29 PM

Emerald
30-08-2009, 11:00 AM
or you could have them cut and resized a good incentive to keep the weight off lol:)

llamacat
30-08-2009, 11:57 AM
Thanks all of you for your info and suggestions. Especially you Ben - I guess it's just reinforced my own frustration and anxieties about the foolhardiness of buying such special rings - it never occurred to me I would lose any weight!!
Ironically I've never even got to wear the wedding ring yet - I was widowed many years ago when my kids were tiny, and after 9 years alone, I met somebody else and we decided in 2001 to get married. Bought the rings, then my teenage daughter got very ill with ME, and has been housebound and very poorly ever since. Obviously I wouldn't get married without her being able to attend - that would be unthinkable, so the wedding has just been postponed in the hope that she will get better. The years have gone by and that hasn't happened, but we are determined that it will. Meanwhile she and I have started making jewellery as something that she can do in small bursts, and she adores doing it and has a wonderful flair for design and delicate work.
So I have a well-worn engagement ring that is too big, a never-worn wedding ring that is too big, not a hope in the near future of even my First wedding and honeymoon, never mind another one to renew the vows, lol! So sad to say I won't be able to follow up on your suggestion, although that would be a fabulous idea!
I think what I'm going to do is go see the jewllers in Hatton Garden where we got these, and see if I can buy a thin plain ring the right size to wear on the outside, which hopefully would be small enough to stay on but not so small that it would slip beneath the adjacent one. The other problem I have is that they are finished with a lovely brushed matte appearance, rather than shiny, and I haven't a clue how to replicate that finish, so I will need to ask them to redo the engagement ring anyway as it has become shiny with wear and now doesn't even match the other ring.
Hm - I didn't mean to whinge on about circumstances. We are both really loving learning how to make jewellery, and that's what is most important - if I have to wear my rings on a chain for the rest of time that isn't really so important in the great scheme of things. And when my daughter gets better that will be the most wonderful day of my life and NOTHING else will matter at all! If we ever get to the point where what we make is good enough to sell it would be fantastic - give her a purpose and rewards for her efforts, and hopefully enable her to have some friends -the isolation of ME is awful.
[-o<
Thanks again to all of you

Di Sandland
30-08-2009, 04:44 PM
[[]][[]][[]] To both you 'cats.' (Gosh, that sounds dreadfully 60s!)

And, to be honest, apart from the issues with your daughter, the most important thing is that you've found a man you can trust. The rings really are secondary eh?