PDA

View Full Version : How to cut flat backs on stones?

camalidesign
19-09-2014, 01:01 PM
Hi all,

I make a fair bit of beach pebble jewellery and am always looking for stones flat enough to bezel set. This is tricky and I would love ot be able to cut the stones in half or flatten the backs so they are easier to set and less likely to rock loose. This also goes for some gemstones that haven't been cut to the best of standards and are a nightmare to set because of the slight dome they have on the backs.

Do I need a flatlap machine or what other options are there. I have already done a fair bit of just sanding stones down manually on sandpaper stuck to a board but this is very time consuming and not always great.

Hoping someone can help!

Cheers,
Carin

Dennis
19-09-2014, 02:07 PM
If there is a shortage of answers here Carin, you might take a look at this site: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Lapidary+Equipment&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&channel=np&source=hp&gfe_rd=cr&ei=9DUcVK2SHczH8gfi7IG4DA#rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&channel=np&q=lapidary+supplies+uk

I know that some lapidary advice and a limited selection of equipment are sometimes shown at Rock N Gem shows, but you need to check the exhibitors. Dennis.

Goldsmith
19-09-2014, 02:49 PM
As Dennis says Carin, you are getting into lapidary and new machines don't come cheap. Check out Ebay; http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sop=15&_nkw=lapidary+machine&_frs=1

This is my stone trimming machine that I use to alter stone shapes when needed.

James

mizgeorge
19-09-2014, 03:13 PM
I have a flat lap, which is fantastic for stones, and especially for the glass cabs I use such a lot. Unfortunately, the best value option (the inland swaptop) is not available here any more - though there is an excellent US ebay seller who has 220v versions and will ship here. Otherwise you're looking at quite an expensive machine.

However, before I had this, I had very good results with micromesh stretched over a bench block or with diapads - http://www.eternaltools.com/polishing-abrasives/electroplated-diamond-hand-polishing-pads

The other alternative is the little diamond 'stones' that come in a pack of 3 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AM-TECH-3-PIECE-MINI-DIAMOND-SHARPENING-STONE-FILE-WHETSONE-SET-/141411912564?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item20ecce8b74

They'll do the job just fine for smaller stuff, and are useful for sharpening as well. They're also a bit of a bargain!

camalidesign
21-09-2014, 06:55 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for all your help. I do know this is not the best place for lapidary advice, but I knew I could count on you guys for advice! :)

I think a flat lap is what I thought I might need for now, but I would really like to learn how to cut my own cabs too sometime in the future. I really like the sound of the inland swaptop and they do one that comes with 3 different attachments; flat lap, saw and shaper/grinder which sounds fab for a bit over £300 shipped from the US. Thanks for the tip George, hope the Xmas trade is good this year and I might just get that in the new year! :)

Thanks again!

Carin

mizgeorge
21-09-2014, 09:40 PM
I love my swaptop Carin - and use it a lot for all sorts of things (including keeping a couple of old diamond discs for metal stuff). If you can, get the 8" version as it works out as better value than the 6" - the basic machine is the same, but the initial package includes several discs and you get more for your money in the bigger kit.

camalidesign
21-09-2014, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the tip George! :)

Patstone
22-09-2014, 06:33 AM
Hi Carole, I do the same as you, collect beach stones, but normally they end up in the garden. I wonder if an ordinary grinder would work, you would have to be careful with eyes and hands of course but it may work, cheaper than the bespoke tools, for the time being anyway.

mizgeorge
22-09-2014, 07:44 AM
Pat, you can use a grinder (though it's harder to get good flat surfaces with one), but you would need to rig up a safe water drip mechanism as it's pretty important to keep both the grinding surface and the stone wet whilst you work. You'll see that James has done just this in the picture he's shown above.

camalidesign
22-09-2014, 04:02 PM
Thanks Pat,

Yes, like George says I think it is harder to get a flat surface with a standard grinder, otherwise I would have gone down that route as it would be a lot cheaper and I could also use a bench grinder as a polishing maching. I will save up and get a flatlap I think! But I will get the littel pack of 3 "stones" for now to see if that is easier in the meantime.

I don't suppose anyone know of any good beginners/intro lapidary courses in the south or south west?? :)

Carin