PDA

View Full Version : Wholesale-experiences?

enigma
18-09-2014, 08:20 PM
Hi all,
Not sure if this is the right place to post but Ive been approached by a fairly prestigious equestrian jewellery store and asked if I would supply wholesale.
Initially I said no as Im already barely keeping up with my own commissions and not keen anyway on doing generic stuff , preferring to do bespoke rather than the same thing over and over again.
But they then came back to me asking if I would consider licensing some of my designs to them or designing an exclusive range just for them so now Im not sure what to do.

Just wondered if others had experience of working with wholesale and what one might expect in either case?

Thanks in advance

Keia
19-09-2014, 02:53 PM
Never had the experience myself, but it sounds like you've got a wonderful opportunity ahead of you =D Personally, I'd grab it with both hands even if it meant working through the night.

ps_bond
19-09-2014, 03:19 PM
If you decide to go the licensing/designing route, I'd consult a lawyer.

enigma
19-09-2014, 04:11 PM
Thanks for taking time to comment Keia and Peter :)
Keia, Im already working through till 3am most nights and working 7 days a week lol.

I think thats a good idea Peter, Ive asked them to come back to me with more detail before I can consider further but truthfully Im not sure I want to get involved as I really enjoy the personal side of doing bespoke the way I currently do.

ps_bond
19-09-2014, 05:10 PM
I had a look and I probably should avoid showing my OH your work :) I like the idea of using the owner's horse hair for the rings & bracelets, those I couldn't see working as well en masse; the appeal (for me) is it's your horse.

enigma
19-09-2014, 05:27 PM
Thanks Peter, and lol at your OH, would she get you making horsey things for her ? :mwahaha:

They have come back to me again and it definitely wouldn't work for me to make the items as they want large numbers ( they have sold another designers work for several years so already have a market but that contract has ended).
But they also want to offer the items made from the owners own horses hair so although a lot of items each would still have to be made individually.
( And I agree BTW I very rarely have customers wanting other than their own horses hair and personally can't see the attraction of using hair from a horse you don't know)

I don't really understand why they don't just design their own tbh if they have folk capable of producing the work? the design aspect is the easiest!

So not sure how I feel about it although one option being discussed is that I would retain the copyright but still, makes me feel a bit odd :confused:

pearlescence
20-09-2014, 04:18 AM
Maybe they could act as an introducer? They supply names etc of peeps interested in your unique stuff and you take it from there and pay them a flat fee for every successful sale?
Perhaps you could combine that with one or two mass produced items - how you organise that is a separate idea, depending on how much money is in it for you.

enigma
20-09-2014, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the ideas Pearlescence,

I don't think they would go for that, they are too big a supplier and had problems with the previous company over supply who are much bigger than me.
Its looking like they just want to either buy or license my designs, just waiting for them to come back to me with more detail atm.