PDA

View Full Version : circle disc

flowerpecker
18-09-2014, 04:07 PM
hi there,
anyone can help me any technique to have a circle shape w/o using a disc cutter,can't afford to buy one now..thank you

BarryM
18-09-2014, 04:16 PM
The only way I know is dividers to scribe out the circle and then use a piercing saw to cut out the circle (or a pair of side cutters if thin sheet < 0.5 mm)

Finish off the edge with 600 grit paper or finer as required.

flowerpecker
18-09-2014, 04:24 PM
im doing at the moment problem i can't get the perfect shape..hehe thank u..

Aurarius
18-09-2014, 04:46 PM
im doing at the moment problem i can't get the perfect shape..hehe thank u..
Pierce just outside the scribed line, then carefully file back to the line all the way round.

flowerpecker
18-09-2014, 04:55 PM
thank u aurarius will try this technique..
cool name btw..

Dennis
18-09-2014, 05:03 PM
The short answer is you do need a disk cutting set. I have tried the cheaper ones but have found them next to useless.

As I do not need many sizes or indeed disks, I have had the old basic one for many years, now called Cookson 999772.

If piercing, the most convincing way for me is to scribe with dividers, or using a circle template. Then pierce leaving the line intact and follow by filing without obliterating the scribed line. This more or less fools the eye (actually the brain) into thinking it's circular. For proof, turn it over and see what the reverse looks like.

For small sizes I cut slices of round wire and rub them to a shine flat down on abrasive paper. Of course you really need a chenier cutting guide (also called a joint filing tool) to do this well. Dennis.

Dennis
18-09-2014, 05:05 PM
Sorry Mark, I was still dithering when you posted yours.

Aurarius
18-09-2014, 10:47 PM
Sorry Mark, I was still dithering when you posted yours.
It's no problem at all.
Your point about turning the disc over is a good one. When I've made a two piece bezel cup and filed the base level with the sides, I always turn it over to see whether there are any deviations from a smooth contour on the reverse side. There nearly always are one or two mini zig-zags that need taking off.

flowerpecker
25-09-2014, 09:17 AM
thanks for your help guys,managed to get one in ebay (disc cutter),works ok,took couple of hammer before the dics come out,or maybe im not using the big hammer..anyway much better cut out than cutting it on my hand..