PDA

View Full Version : Dangly earrings

BarryM
08-09-2014, 01:36 PM
Picture below is a set I made for client, two pairs of earrings and a pendant
in same design that can be clipped to a chain (hence the Albert clasp).

I am quite pleased with the final result, but it took me ages to make them.

Had to make the balls from sheet, dome and and then solder them, the
bottom balls have a hammered finish which I had to do before soldering.

The main problem was soldering the chain to the balls - I tried soldering
directly but the solder flowed up the chain and made it into a rod. So I cut it off,
drilled a small hole in the ball and made a tiny U shaped piece of wire. Threaded this
through the last link and then inserted it into the hole in the ball and using a TINY
dab of solder paste managed to solder it in place after 2 or 3 attempts where the chain either melted (it is very fine) or the solder crept up the chain.

Any tips on the best way to do this?? Is there something I can paint on the
chain to make it resistant to solder? (Obviously must be able to clean off after)
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/08/edeac50f85bd9031ba7ca680310f5c5a.jpg

Hans Meevis
08-09-2014, 06:24 PM
If I make jewellery like that, I normally solder two small jump rings on each ball and then thread the chain through and close the jump rings.
It's pretty much strong enough for ear wear.

Dennis
08-09-2014, 08:37 PM
If I make jewellery like that, I normally solder two small jump rings on each ball and then thread the chain through and close the jump rings.

Same here, but if you really want to solder the chain direct, then prime the last links, by laying the chain flat and melting a little solder onto the very ends.

Next suspend the chain with a third hand such as Cookson 999AA1 http://www.cooksongold.com/category_select.jsp?query=999AAA.

The ball should rest on the soldering block in a little hollow to keep it still and the primed end of the chain will dangle down and just touch the ball.

Now when you heat the ball, the solder will re-melt by conduction and attach itself to the ball. This is called sweat soldering and is particularly useful for joining a very small part to a much bigger part. Dennis.

BarryM
09-09-2014, 07:41 AM
Hans / Dennis - many thanks for your help, using small jump rings is such an obvious solution, a "doh" moment - must be my age 😏

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk