PDA

View Full Version : bur life/cut lube

mizgeorge
29-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Please!
I don't like beeswax/candles, but love this both for saw and coil cutting. Would be lovely not to have to go elsewhere for it :)

bustagasket
29-08-2009, 12:26 PM
do you mean like this Geroge? http://www.cooksongold.com/product_detail.jsp?prod_search=beeswax

mizgeorge
29-08-2009, 12:54 PM
No. I don't like beeswax at all - it clogs up my blades and feels horrid. Funnily enough I don't like honey either!

Cut lube comes in a push-up stick, and is a bit drier somehow, so it lubricates the blade without making it feel claggy. It's excellent for drilling and to use on burr cups as well.

bustagasket
29-08-2009, 01:14 PM
oo guess i am just from my dads old school - lol he always used beeswax lol

Di Sandland
29-08-2009, 01:21 PM
No. I don't like beeswax at all - it clogs up my blades and feels horrid. Funnily enough I don't like honey either!

Cut lube comes in a push-up stick, and is a bit drier somehow, so it lubricates the blade without making it feel claggy. It's excellent for drilling and to use on burr cups as well.

I didn't know you could get anything else! I hate beeswax for lubrication too (although I adore the smell).

ben b
29-08-2009, 03:34 PM

mizgeorge
29-08-2009, 03:46 PM
Bless you Ben!
Amazing what a difference in spelling will do. I've certainly not seen it on the site before - and the packaging would suggest it might be a recent addition (along with a lot of other EuroTool stuff).

I've got enough to last a bit longer, so I guess that's one for the next freepost then ;)

geti-titanium
29-08-2009, 03:55 PM
Anybody ever tried WD40? Works a treat cutting Titanium

ben b
30-08-2009, 12:34 AM

MuranoSilver
31-08-2009, 09:51 PM

Please be careful if using non-standard lubricants / degreasers or other chemicals many of which can be extremely dangerous - this guy used brake cleaner as a degreasant, nearly died and ended up permanently damaging his organs!!
It was a miniscule amount too - you can read about it here (http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm)
PLEASE read labels before using something not designed for the task at hand...

mizgeorge
31-08-2009, 10:25 PM
Jason, are you heating it a little before you use it?

I just waft a lighter flame over the top and it softens up a treat. Just remember to push it up beforehand or you'll scorch the container (don't ask me how I know that....)

mizgeorge
31-08-2009, 11:00 PM
I think there's something wrong with my mind.....

It must be time to call it a night ;)

ps_bond
01-09-2009, 08:38 AM

Yup. I also tried it for using a sen (Japanese scraper) while making a sword... Didn't help on the cutting in that case, but the plumes of smoke coming off the work were impressive.

I usually use cutting & tapping fluid for drilling & sawing larger pieces; for some stuff the thinner WD40 is better. Used tapping fluid while engraving steel too, it depends on the steel - I don't usually bother lubricating gravers. The (a) traditional lubricant was oil of wintergreen, which is fairly nasty stuff - as with most essential oils.

I usually only use Burr Life on burrs; unwarmed to start with, but once I've used the burr a little it will have warmed up enough to melt some on.

Safety in the workshop is a good point - although anyone using brake cleaner as a lubricant is destined for a Darwin award.

geti-titanium
01-09-2009, 08:56 AM
while making a sword...

A fellow swordmaker eh?

I dabbled with weapons in my younger days before I heard my calling for Titanium rings.

Nothing exciting though - I used to make Aluminium practice Chinese broadswords for Kung Fu students and I once had an order for 300 freemason preceptors - I didn't want to make another sword after that order for some reason +o(

ps_bond
01-09-2009, 09:00 AM
A fellow swordmaker eh?

Only occasionally. This was a Japanese-style swordmaking class with Don Fogg - just before the "ban" on making swords came in. :rolleyes: