PDA

View Full Version : Training

KarolinaMoon
01-09-2014, 12:17 PM
Just curious....I'm from Northern Ireland, and here there are no specific jewellery schools, or training courses geared towards the manufacturing of jewellery. There are night class type courses, which are more hobby based. I have got some workshop training at a studio in Dublin, and have attempted to go down the path of one to one training with a practising goldsmith....however finding that alot are reluctant to 'share' their trade 'secrets' and would actually rather not share their skills and experience. Finding it very difficult to get some decent training, without having to travel 3 hours or so.....
Anyone else experience this where they are? Is it a case that jewellery is just a very competitive world? I'm finding that along with the training I have so far (over that last 2 years), self teaching is actually working for me well. But I always wonder, am I doing this 'right', and perhaps there is a quicker, easier, better way etc etc.....so would be nice to get some 'proper' training!

Lucie
01-09-2014, 01:13 PM
I'm afraid I think a lot of this comes down to the "creative competition" that you mentioned the other day & no, it's definitely not just you.

I'm in Suffolk, near the Cambridge boarder and have found exactly the same thing - I've approached & been rebuffed by a few.
I've had to accept that no one local to me is going to teach me anything that could potentially damage their own trade.
Sign of difficult times & all.
A few years ago, in sheer desperation, I went to a local fella for some findings (as I had missed the post for the day & needed them in an emergency) and he charged me twice what Cookies would have charge - & smirked :'(

Going any distance for training is not possible for me, so I tend to make it up as I go along; make a million mistakes & get there in the end (usually via the longest route).

I've had a lot of sideways looks from folk saying "You made that HOW????" :)

Luckily, my stone setters and engravers are fabulous and always have time for my bizarre questions.
Have you thought about "At the Bench" or looked at some of the DVD's that are out there?

Sandra
01-09-2014, 02:23 PM
"At the Bench" is helping me, I would love to take an actual course though at some point too. I think I've learned quite a bit on my own, but to be honest I'm feeling pretty discouraged as of late. I'm not improving as fast as I'd like to and I'm at a standstill at learning some new techniques I want to try due to lack of equipment and materials. I don't even care about competition with others, I just want to be able to do it for myself. The monthly competition here has given me inspiration to keep at it, but on the other hand comparing my work with those much more experienced doesn't do much for my self confidence either. I think I may take a break this month and focus on other things.

KarolinaMoon
01-09-2014, 03:45 PM
I'm afraid I think a lot of this comes down to the "creative competition" that you mentioned the other day & no, it's definitely not just you.

I'm in Suffolk, near the Cambridge boarder and have found exactly the same thing - I've approached & been rebuffed by a few.
I've had to accept that no one local to me is going to teach me anything that could potentially damage their own trade.
Sign of difficult times & all.
A few years ago, in sheer desperation, I went to a local fella for some findings (as I had missed the post for the day & needed them in an emergency) and he charged me twice what Cookies would have charge - & smirked :'(

Going any distance for training is not possible for me, so I tend to make it up as I go along; make a million mistakes & get there in the end (usually via the longest route).

I've had a lot of sideways looks from folk saying "You made that HOW????" :)

Luckily, my stone setters and engravers are fabulous and always have time for my bizarre questions.
Have you thought about "At the Bench" or looked at some of the DVD's that are out there?

Oh my, that was rather cheeky of your local jeweller!!! I'm the same with doing thing myself, guessing as I go along....and making lots of mistakes!!! But I guess that is how we learn...from all the mistakes!! I was going to a local goldsmith, and he was very enthusiastic to begin with....them I got a commission and asked him to help, which he said he would. Then silence, and saying he will get back to me with a workshop date, but iv yet to hear from him. Luckily after about 3 attempts I got the commission done by myself.....It involved setting 3 small stones, and was pretty tricky!!! I felt rather let down if I'm honest...but hey turns out I could do it myself after all! ! I must have a look at the Bench too! Thank you!!

Tabby66
01-09-2014, 07:32 PM
Over the years I have found this forum incredibly helpful and supportive in learning stuff and especially finding out what I did wrong!!!! I have been lucky enough to find a master jeweller with over 40 years experience who has been happy to teach me over the past 4 years,....if you can find it, 1-2-1 training is irreplaceable, his experienced eye has enabled me to view my work differently and trained my eye to spot the tiniest of differences/inaccuracies.....it has also given me access to tools and knowledge, tricks of the trade. Despite being within 30 miles of Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter, this was not easy to find!!

Sandra, I'm surprised to hear you say that you don't think you are improving, since you have been showing your work on here, I think that your work has come on leaps and bounds in terms of design and execution,.....don't be discouraged!!

caroleallen
01-09-2014, 08:38 PM
I did evening classes at the local college for 3 years to start with. Since then, I try and do a summer course every year at such places as the Birmingham Jewellery School, John Cass or West Dean. This works great for me as I learn a very specific skill and am taught by a master. Unfortunately the course I booked this year got cancelled.

vsilvered
02-09-2014, 03:18 AM
"At the Bench" is helping me, I would love to take an actual course though at some point too. I think I've learned quite a bit on my own, but to be honest I'm feeling pretty discouraged as of late. I'm not improving as fast as I'd like to and I'm at a standstill at learning some new techniques I want to try due to lack of equipment and materials. I don't even care about competition with others, I just want to be able to do it for myself. The monthly competition here has given me inspiration to keep at it, but on the other hand comparing my work with those much more experienced doesn't do much for my self confidence either. I think I may take a break this month and focus on other things.

Sandra, a couple of days ago, I received a newsletter from one of my fav jewellery artists Nancy L. T. Hamilton, in which she quotes some sound words of advice from a handout she'd received (she couldn't remember the author) whilst clearing out her workshop:

"Nobody tells this to people who are beginners. I wish someone had told me: All of us, who do creative work, get into it because we have good taste. BUT THERE IS A GAP. For the first couple of years you make stuff. It's just not that good. It's trying to be good. It has potential, but it's not. But, your taste, the thing that got you into the game, is still killer. Your taste is why your work disappoints you!

A lot of people never get past this phase. They quit. Most of the people that I know, who do interesting, creative work, went through years of this. We know our work doesn't have this "special thing" that we want it to have. WE ALL GO THROUGH THIS! If you are starting out or you are still in this phase, you gotta know it's normal and the most important thing you do is: DO A LOT OF WORK. Put yourself on a deadline so, that every week, you will finish one story. It is only by going through a (large) volume of work that you will close that gap. your work will be as good as your ambitions. I took longer to figure out how to do this than anyone! It's gonna take awhile. It's normal to take a while. YOU'VE JUST GOTTA FIGHT YOUR WAY THROUGH (it)."

LydiaNiz
02-09-2014, 10:02 AM
I learn by a process of trial and error. Mostly error, but it's a lot of fun learning.