PDA

View Full Version : Best way to polish fired silver clay….

autumnclover
28-08-2014, 09:53 AM
Can anyone advise me on how to polish my silver clay pieces to get a professional finish? I use metal clays 3 stage polish pads, which have always bee great, however I get little scratches on my pieces and they don't look very professional :(

medusa
28-08-2014, 10:09 AM
is there any detail on the pieces? If so you need to be careful because PMC is pure silver which is soft (unless it's the new sterling clay I suppose). I tend to tumble my pieces and then use radial wheels and careful use of polishing compounds but then they are also designed to look a bit rough.

After polishing they will get scratched with wear. It's just one of those things with them.

autumnclover
28-08-2014, 10:24 AM
I make imprint jewellery. I have seen other peoples and their finish is SO flawless, I just wondered how they did it! Thank you for your advice. would it be possible to see one of your finished pieces as an example please? x

medusa
28-08-2014, 02:16 PM
These are mine: http://gentle-medusa.com/Resources/secrettouchfinesa.jpeg

Like I said though, I don't really go for the slick polished look. With PMC the best thing is to get the finish as perfect as possible ~before~ firing.