PDA

View Full Version : Setting a stone - best method?

Suzedablooze
29-08-2009, 07:51 AM
I have a oval shaped heliodor beryl which I want to set in as plain a setting as possible (so you can really only see the stone. Then hang this as a pendent or maybe part of a pendent.

The beryl is 9.2mm by 4.1 mm and the closest sized settings I can find are 9 by 4 - is it OK to try and stretch the 9 by 4 settings a little to fit the stone, or should I just try and make one myself?

thanks in advance!

Suze

MuranoSilver
29-08-2009, 08:18 AM
You could stretch the setting but it would look better if you made it yourself because then you could add a bezel surround :)

mizgeorge
29-08-2009, 08:38 AM
You don't say what style of setting you're looking at. If it's a bezel cup, for example, it could easily be stretched (though you might just as well make your own). If not, I think you could comfortably adjust it (it's a very small difference), but it would depend on where the prongs sit. I'm no expert though :)

I'd agree with Nic, and make a bezel setting yourself - there's something nice about a finished piece being entirely your own work!

Suzedablooze
29-08-2009, 01:45 PM
Thanks, I think I will have a go at making my own - it would be more satisfying.

Suze