PDA

View Full Version : Goldsmith's fair 21 September -to- 05 October 2014.

Jasdir Singh Jaura
14-08-2014, 08:45 AM
Hello, everybody :)

Well, I was planning for IJL 2014 but couldn't be able to visit. Came to know about Goldsmith's fair 21 September -to- 05 October 2014. How about this fair ? What type of show is this ? Do anybody here exhibiting in this fair ?

Thank you all for your valuable inputs/information... IN-ADVANCE,
_/\_Jasdir.

SteveLAO
14-08-2014, 09:00 AM
Goldsmiths' Fair is totally different from IJL, as it's a retail selling fair, rather than a trade buying fair. http://www.goldsmithsfair.co.uk is the link to the web page where you can see the names of those who are exhibiting. This year we're also doing some breakfast talks on a variety of subjects, including one from yours truly! We also have a mini "assay office" set up, so you can bring along an item and we can test it for you for free. We'll also set up a marking bench so you can see whats involved in hand marking, and even have a go yourself if you like! We're trying to set up a laser too, but I'm not sure if that's going to be do-able yet, but that would be quite cool if we can do it!

Jasdir Singh Jaura
14-08-2014, 09:16 AM
Goldsmiths' Fair is totally different from IJL, as it's a retail selling fair, rather than a trade buying fair. http://www.goldsmithsfair.co.uk is the link to the web page where you can see the names of those who are exhibiting. This year we're also doing some breakfast talks on a variety of subjects, including one from yours truly! We also have a mini "assay office" set up, so you can bring along an item and we can test it for you for free. We'll also set up a marking bench so you can see whats involved in hand marking, and even have a go yourself if you like! We're trying to set up a laser too, but I'm not sure if that's going to be do-able yet, but that would be quite cool if we can do it!
Hello, Steve.
What do you mean by saying.. including one from yours truly! ?

SteveLAO
14-08-2014, 09:17 AM
one from ME!!!!!
sorry...it's an old English expression!

Jasdir Singh Jaura
14-08-2014, 09:31 AM
one from ME!!!!!
sorry...it's an old English expression!
Oh!

Steve, if am visiting this fair with the motive of seeking and sharing Jewellery-making study. Do you think this fair would be beneficial for me to visit ? how big is the fair and how much time do I need to attend this fair ? (Suppose planning for one day)

SteveLAO
14-08-2014, 10:53 AM
On the website you'll see the requirements for exhibiting, and you'll get an idea of the sort of people who are exhibiting. Some of them are quite new to the trade, whereas others have been making for a long time. There is an enormous amount of talent and skill on show, and I'm sure the exhibitors would be happy to talk with you, but do bear in mind this is a selling event, and it's always very busy, so whether they would have the time to spend with you to discuss their skills I'm not sure. Anyway, have a look on the site, and also have a look at our website http://pan3sixty.co.uk/virtual_tours/goldsmiths-company/the-staircase-hall here for example is a link to a 360 degree virtual tour of the hall, which is the location of the fair. It's not a huge venue like IJL so you can easily do it in a day, with time for lunch on site!

Dennis
14-08-2014, 01:07 PM
This fair is actually quite small, but changes exhibitors in the second week. I usually visit during the first week only and find an hour of browsing is enough for me.

The purpose of visiting would be to see the work of top jewellers and some silversmiths, mostly from the UK. It would be bad form to engage them in conversation when there are genuine customers at the stand. You do get to take away an illustrated catalogue included in the entry price. The nearest underground station is Saint Pauls.

Regards, Dennis.

SteveLAO
14-08-2014, 01:23 PM
All the jewellery and silverware for sale are hand made in the UK.....

Jasdir Singh Jaura
15-08-2014, 06:32 AM
On the website you'll see the requirements for exhibiting, and you'll get an idea of the sort of people who are exhibiting. Some of them are quite new to the trade, whereas others have been making for a long time. There is an enormous amount of talent and skill on show, and I'm sure the exhibitors would be happy to talk with you, but do bear in mind this is a selling event, and it's always very busy, so whether they would have the time to spend with you to discuss their skills I'm not sure. Anyway, have a look on the site, and also have a look at our website http://pan3sixty.co.uk/virtual_tours/goldsmiths-company/the-staircase-hall here for example is a link to a 360 degree virtual tour of the hall, which is the location of the fair. It's not a huge venue like IJL so you can easily do it in a day, with time for lunch on site!
Thank you, Steve :)

Jasdir Singh Jaura
15-08-2014, 06:41 AM
This fair is actually quite small, but changes exhibitors in the second week. I usually visit during the first week only and find an hour of browsing is enough for me.

The purpose of visiting would be to see the work of top jewellers and some silversmiths, mostly from the UK. It would be bad form to engage them in conversation when there are genuine customers at the stand. You do get to take away an illustrated catalogue included in the entry price. The nearest underground station is Saint Pauls.

Regards, Dennis.
Ok, nearest underground station is "Saint Paul's",
And how far Goldsmith's fair is from Saint Paul's ? and how to come from Heathrow-Airport to Saint Paul's ?

Goldsmith
15-08-2014, 07:07 AM
Ok, nearest underground station is "Saint Paul's",
And how far Goldsmith's fair is from Saint Paul's ? and how to come from Heathrow-Airport to Saint Paul's ?

London Underground runs from Heathrow Airport into London. St.Pauls is close to The Goldsmiths Hall. Online maps give you a lot of information.
http://www.inlondonguide.co.uk/underground-tube-maps.html

Also check out Google Maps; https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5146078,-0.096849,18z

James

SteveLAO
15-08-2014, 08:08 AM
it's two minutes walk from St Pauls tube station.

From Heathrow airport take the underground "Piccadilly" line (its dark blue on the underground maps) through to Holborn. Change at Holborn to the central line (its red on the underground maps) to St Pauls.

Jasdir Singh Jaura
15-08-2014, 11:25 AM
Thank you, Steve and Goldsmith.

I also want to know that what is the mode of payment accepted by tube stations for tickets ? Do they accept Cash or only cards ?

Goldsmith
15-08-2014, 11:38 AM

I also want to know that what is the mode of payment accepted by tube stations for tickets ? Do they accept Cash or only cards ?

You can use cash to buy either single tickets or what is called a travel card. If you buy a travel card at Heathrow it allows you free travel anywhere in London on the tubes all day.

Dennis
15-08-2014, 01:12 PM
Yes and Goldsmiths hall is in Foster Lane altogether a bout 4minutes walk from the underground, if you find the right exit.

Jasdir Singh Jaura
15-08-2014, 02:01 PM
Yes and Goldsmiths hall is in Foster Lane altogether a bout 4minutes walk from the underground, if you find the right exit.
It means St Paul's underground has many exists. Does these exists have numbers ? which is the correct exist towards foster lane ?

Jasdir Singh Jaura
15-08-2014, 02:06 PM
You can use cash to buy either single tickets or what is called a travel card. If you buy a travel card at Heathrow it allows you free travel anywhere in London on the tubes all day. I searched on net. There are two types "Peak" and "Off-peak". Still confused which one to buy.
I have a day plan which includes hip-hop bus tour and visiting Goldsmith's fair directly from Heathrow-Airport. My flight will reach London Heathrow-airport by 7:00 am.

Suggestion please.

SteveLAO
15-08-2014, 02:11 PM
if you land at 7am you will have to get a "peak" ticket...off peak only allows you to travel at certain times of the day...usually the quiet times....from memory its after 10am and before 4pm. The peak tickets cost more, but allow you to travel at any time of the day.

susieq
15-08-2014, 08:54 PM

You can buy an Oyster card at Heathrow. There's a £5 deposit on the card which is refundable if you have time to return it at Heathrow when you leave, together with any GBP balance you have on the card. If you hand over £10.00 GBP at Heathrow when you arrive, then you will get £5.00 credit of travel on the card. This can be topped up with cash (GBP) or card. £5.00 will not get you very far in the rush hour (week days before 9.30 a.m), but the Oyster card is the cheapest way to travel in London, accepted on both buses and tubes. Oyster cards can be topped up at most tube stations by card or cash. If you have a foreign credit/debit card though and you put small amounts on each time, then of course you will end up paying lots of transaction fees courtesy of your bank. The credit on your Oyster card stays with the card forever, so if you come back to the Uk in 5 years time, then any credit should still be there (unless they change the rules). Oyster is definitely the best ticket to get to travel around London. Travel time from entering the underground at Heathrow to exiting central London is a good hour.

Don't worry about the travel for now; rather focus at the moment on accommodation which can be hideously expensive here.

Susie

susieq
15-08-2014, 09:01 PM
I searched on net. There are two types "Peak" and "Off-peak". Still confused which one to buy.
I have a day plan which includes hip-hop bus tour and visiting Goldsmith's fair directly from Heathrow-Airport. My flight will reach London Heathrow-airport by 7:00 am.

Suggestion please.

The hop on hop off bus tours are separate from the London Underground system and usually don't include the cost of travel to and from London/Oyster card. They are a good way to see the main sights in a day, but relatively expensive. If your time is limited you may prefer to research what you want to see and just stick to that. All depends on how long you are staying in London and how much of a tourist you want to be :-)

Susie

Jasdir Singh Jaura
16-08-2014, 07:05 AM
The hop on hop off bus tours are separate from the London Underground system and usually don't include the cost of travel to and from London/Oyster card. They are a good way to see the main sights in a day, but relatively expensive. If your time is limited you may prefer to research what you want to see and just stick to that. All depends on how long you are staying in London and how much of a tourist you want to be :-) Susie
Firstly.. thank you for giving me this valuable guidance, Susie.

Actually.. I will not be a long tourist in London. Am having just one day plan. My arrival is 07:00 am and departure is 21:20 pm same day from Heathrow-Airport-London. Thus I don't think I need accommodation. Am planning for two things during this time-stay. 1st-Goldsmith's fair, 2nd-Bus tour (To see London-City). Goldsmith's fair opens at 11:00 am and Bus-Tour I don't know which time is good for that, but I want to cover these two things before my departure.

_/\_ Guide a friend, Please :)

susieq
16-08-2014, 01:08 PM
Plenty of travellers do visit the centre of London on a stop-over between flights, but you do rely on your inbound flight being in on time and no delays through passport control/ immigration. As an example, it took my chinese daughter in law 2 1/2 hours last year as immigration decided to question the purposes of her visit ...... .

As a beginner to jewellery making I really enjoy going to Goldsmith's fair and seeing what others are doing, but whilst stall holders are happy to talk to you, they are after all there to sell. If your visit is a stop-over en route to elsewhere, then it's worth going to, but if you are making a special trip all the way from India just for the one day, hoping to be able to make contacts and network your own skills there, then in honesty I think you may be disappointed. Just my thought, but don't let me put you off.

Re the hop on hop off buses, this site seems to review the various tour operators - http://www.londontoolkit.com/blog/daytrips/tours/comparing-londons-hop-on-hop-off-sightseeing-buses/

The only time to avoid buses is rush hour. Which should really be called very very slow hour and lasts way more than an hour!

Susie

Jasdir Singh Jaura
18-08-2014, 10:33 AM
Plenty of travellers do visit the centre of London on a stop-over between flights, but you do rely on your inbound flight being in on time and no delays through passport control/ immigration. As an example, it took my chinese daughter in law 2 1/2 hours last year as immigration decided to question the purposes of her visit ...... .

As a beginner to jewellery making I really enjoy going to Goldsmith's fair and seeing what others are doing, but whilst stall holders are happy to talk to you, they are after all there to sell. If your visit is a stop-over en route to elsewhere, then it's worth going to, but if you are making a special trip all the way from India just for the one day, hoping to be able to make contacts and network your own skills there, then in honesty I think you may be disappointed. Just my thought, but don't let me put you off.

Re the hop on hop off buses, this site seems to review the various tour operators - http://www.londontoolkit.com/blog/daytrips/tours/comparing-londons-hop-on-hop-off-sightseeing-buses/

The only time to avoid buses is rush hour. Which should really be called very very slow hour and lasts way more than an hour!

Susie

Thank you for all that information, Susie :)

JonLendrum
21-08-2014, 07:25 PM
What days are you doing your talks? I'm going to come along I think for the first weekend, this will be my first jewellery event and I'm very excited to browse the wonders of peoples talents. Cant wait

SteveLAO
22-08-2014, 08:29 AM
Have a look on the Goldsmiths' Fair website, as it lists all the breakfast talks that are on every day of the fair. http://www.goldsmithsfair.co.uk/events/breakfast-talks
I'm talking on Sunday 28th so that's the first weekend! You need to buy a ticket to come along to the talks, which you can do through the website. The ticket also gives you entry to the fair as well.
Look forward to seeing you there if you would like to come along :)