PDA

View Full Version : Can I torch Sodalite?

PeppermintPurple
31-07-2014, 01:24 PM
Just setting sodalite into a bezel setting on a soldered earring post and the post has come away from the cup, can I solder this back on or will the (now set) sodalite not take the heat? Tia

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dennis
31-07-2014, 05:18 PM
Just setting sodalite into a bezel setting on a soldered earring post and the post has come away from the cup, can I solder this back on or will the (now set) sodalite not take the heat? Tia

No Tia, it won't like it. but here are some suggestions:

1. Always twist earring posts after soldering by a about a quarter turn, near the base, half way, and finally near the tip. This hardens it against bending in use and of course tests the joint you have soldered.

2. You can try to unset your stone if it is set in a collet and not too small (say 6mm or more), by gradually running round with a pointy craft knife or scraper board nib between stone and metal. You need to go very slowly and not much will happen at first. However once the collet has been gently opened the stone can be lifted with sticky tape.

3 If this does not work cut into the base of the setting with a saw. Once part of it is cut right through it can be lifted with a knife or scewdriver to get out the stone. The mangled collet can then be held in tweezers a little above a soldering block fluxed and heated to unsolder it.

Hope some of this helps. Dennis.

PeppermintPurple
31-07-2014, 07:53 PM
Thanks so much Dennis......I live and learn :)