PDA

View Full Version : How to make a sterling silver bead ring

4ngi3
27-07-2014, 07:39 AM
Hi,

I'm not after how to "string" beads onto wire to make a bead ring, obviously thats pretty straight forward ;)

But I've seen this pic of a ring and I love it and would love to try to make it. But the only problem is I have no clue how I would even begin? So I thought I'd ask my community of experts that I have right at my fingertips ;) Any tips on how to get started would be absolutely fantastic if anyone can help? Thanks so much! :)

ps_bond
27-07-2014, 08:24 AM
There's something similar in one of the Codina books using granulation - make lots of granules, fuse them together.
Or make it in wax and cast it...

Goldsmith
27-07-2014, 08:33 AM
You could also make these out of sterling silver beaded wire, sold for decorating settings etc.
Cookson sell it, see; http://www.cooksongold.com/Strip-Bezel-and-Gallery/Sterling-Silver-Beaded-Wire-2mm---22.7gmsmtr-prcode-NVZ-002 ,
I would use this beaded wire to make that type of ring or perhaps a stack of 3 or more rings, this beaded wire is available in any length you wish at 1.5mm. or 2mm. diameters.

James

mizgeorge
27-07-2014, 11:36 AM
These are definitely made from pearl wire as James says.

It's important to make sure the 'pearls' match up when making these - and the best way to do this without ending up with a lot of solder clogging things up is to always make the join at the largest point in one of them. I see so many made with random joins and they look awful (rather like badly joined scalloped bezel that seems to be everywhere at the moment).

If the size isn't what you need, you'll need to stretch gently after making.

4ngi3
29-07-2014, 10:57 AM
Interesting! I would NEVER have figured that out by myself, thank you so much I will check out this beaded wire you speak of :)

LydiaNiz
29-07-2014, 04:41 PM
Here's one I made earlier ;-) They are really, really simple and take only a teeny, teeny bit of heat to solder. 6449

Dennis
29-07-2014, 04:52 PM
Where's the join, Lydia, between balls I presume? George said above 'at the largest point in one of them', but I'm not sure what she meant. Dennis

mizgeorge
29-07-2014, 05:05 PM
Dennis, I always cut through the middle of the ball at either end - joining between them seems to lend itself to using a bit more solder than intended, which can mean they're not quite as tidy. It also gives a slightly larger surface to join, which seems stronger as I usually end up stretching them to fit.

LydiaNiz
29-07-2014, 05:26 PM
I do the opposite! In between the balls.

Dennis
29-07-2014, 09:42 PM
Thanks both. It's torches at dawn for you two, by the looks of things.

4ngi3
30-07-2014, 01:32 AM
Here's one I made earlier ;-) They are really, really simple and take only a teeny, teeny bit of heat to solder. 6449

Thanks for that Lydia, thats exactly what i want to make! May I ask what size bead wire you used as I know there are a few different sizes available. So you just cut the ball off at the join and theres enough material for you to solder the two joins together?

LydiaNiz
30-07-2014, 10:30 AM
That is the 1.5mm bead size. I cut just after the ball, then file and sand very carefully each side, tiny, *tiny* bit of easy/extra easy solder and a really quick and gentle heat.

Nick martin
05-10-2014, 05:29 PM
I've genuinely learnt something there, and have to say that buying beaded wire is an infinitely easier way of making such a ring after attempting the 'manual' way!

Cool.

Nick