PDA

View Full Version : Oxycon Connection Question

paintboxcrafts
23-07-2014, 01:21 PM
Hi all, bit of a lurker on here, but please can someone help with an answer to my question.

I have just bought a Smiths Little Torch with UK fittings after reading lots of good stuff about it on here.
I do lampwork so already have all the propane stuff and an oxycon. The only fly in the ointment is that the spare oxycon christmas tree connector that I have just got from Tuffnells is in one piece, (rather than being a screw ring with a loose nozzle), so when I screw it on it will twist my hose round and round each time, and I want to be able to swap it over with my lampwork torch will reasonable ease. (I have already have a Y connector run two torches off the propane, so no problems with that side of things)

The question is what is the size of the devillbiss oxycon outlet?, did I read right somewhere that a US fitting went straight on to it? - meaning if I convert the oxy hose of the little torch to a US fitting I can screw it on directly.

I found the great description of how to attach the christmas tree connector to the torch hose, but my connector is naff. I have asked Tuffer's if he has any of the other sort, but wondered what my other options are. I can't find anyone else selling the Christmas trees in the UK.

Thanks
Cathy

ps_bond
23-07-2014, 01:45 PM
I gave up on the Christmas tree connector in the end and put a 3/8" male hose barb into the flexible pipe (with a clip). The Little Torch then screws to that.

mizgeorge
23-07-2014, 01:45 PM
I would have thought the simplest option would be to do the same with the oxygen line as the propane - either fit a splitter or a quick release valve. Then you don't need to worry about anything other than remembering to turn the oxycon down to use the little torch. I found it easier to use quick release so that I can move things around more efficiently rather than ending up with too many bits of tube hanging around at just the right height to trip myself up!

paintboxcrafts
23-07-2014, 01:59 PM
Thanks Peter and george for your quick replies.
I'm liking the quick release idea, hadn't considered that. Do you reckon I'd be able to shove one of these....
http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_8mm_Quick_Release_Gas_Hose_Coupling.html
... up the oxy tube of the torch with the aid of a hairdryer? The tube looks so narrow. Mind you a 3/8" male barb is same size, so it must be possible.

Cathy

mizgeorge
23-07-2014, 02:43 PM
Those are the ones I use Cathy - I soak my tubes in very hot water before fitting. I've got them on both my oxygen and propane lines, with matching fittings on all my torches - both for metal and for lampwork.

I tried a splitter on my propane line initially, but switched to these when I got a third torch, and find it much easier to use.

paintboxcrafts
23-07-2014, 02:55 PM
Thanks, I was a bit worried they are 8mm, and Martin's incredibly expensive one's are 6mm.

Cathy

mizgeorge
23-07-2014, 04:28 PM
If you do want 6mm, these guys are good: http://www.hosesandmore.co.uk/epages/es144349.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es144349/Categories/%22Quick%20Release%20Connectors%22, with the other halves on http://www.hosesandmore.co.uk/epages/es144349.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es144349/Categories/Quick_Release_Adaptors

These have the advantage that you can buy just one female end for the main line, and as many male adapters as you wish for adding torches.

paintboxcrafts
23-07-2014, 04:58 PM
I've ordered some 8mm now, but will keep that link in case I need it thanks.