PDA

View Full Version : Polishing compounds

silver70
12-07-2014, 02:44 PM
Hi,

Just wondering what polishing compounds people use? Are tripoli and rouge the best or do people use other dialux compounds?

Thanks

caroleallen
12-07-2014, 04:56 PM
Most of us use Menzerna these days.

mizgeorge
12-07-2014, 05:25 PM
I didn't get on at all with Menzerna so I stick to Luxi - mainly because of they're water based so clean up, both of pieces and me, is easier.

Keia
12-07-2014, 06:00 PM
Luxi blue & white at the moment with me. I made the switch over from rouge & tripoli a few months ago and can honestly say I'll never go back to using it for polishing. I've kept the rouge to make a solder blocker (not sure what the correct term for it is called, that's just what I call it. I mix a little rouge in a pot with methylated spirits, then paint it onto joints where I do not want the solder to flow).
I find Luxi to be a fantastic polishing compound.

LydiaNiz
12-07-2014, 06:40 PM
Am a Luxi convert. Blue and white (and the orange is lovely).

silver70
12-07-2014, 07:17 PM
Thanks - so you would recommend the blue and white luxi - what would the orange one be used for? Should I only buy blue and white or should I have others too? Thanks.

CJ57
12-07-2014, 07:22 PM
Going between Luxi and sometimes back to tripoli and rouge if I can stand the mess.

Vanessa
12-07-2014, 09:52 PM
Fabulustre is what I have always used. Says on tube that Tripoli isn't required as will get scratches out and is a final polish. Polishes up to a nice shiney finish but I do find I have to use Tripoli sometimes. However I've no experience of any other compound other than rouge and Fabulustre isn't as messy. I am tempted to buy a starter pack of luxi though.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Dennis
13-07-2014, 03:36 PM
Fabulustre is what I have always used.

Looking up Fabulustre, I came to Esslinger's site and was struck by how easy and entertaining it was to browse. The whole point for me is to come across items I haven't met before and didn't even know I needed. Dennis.

http://www.esslinger.com/fabulustre-polishing-compound-1-pound-tube.aspx

Aurarius
14-07-2014, 12:35 AM
Looking up Fabulustre, I came to Esslinger's site and was struck by how easy and entertaining it was to browse. The whole point for me is to come across items I haven't met before and didn't even know I needed. Dennis.

What I also find depressing is how cheaply you can get products in the U.S. that we pay through the nose for. For their GRS stuff, for example, Americans are paying less in dollars than we are in pounds.
Rip-off Britain!

Gemsetterchris
14-07-2014, 07:28 PM
I've Dialux red & green, & some orange stuff called Polinum for final finish which works well on anything.
Bought these donkeys years ago, but I don't generally do polishing so they'll last me out.

I do also have a kilo brick of some yellow waxy stuff that acts abit like tripoli for cutting out scratches..again It's over 8 years since bought & will last another 30 :)

Vanessa
14-07-2014, 07:35 PM
Well I've not found fabulustre since I bought it about 3 or 4 years ago and I can't recall how much I paid for it ... what I do know is it is a never ending tube always disappointing when you want an excuse to buy something new. Dennis what do you use?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Tabby66
14-07-2014, 08:48 PM
I'm a menzerna fan too....my stuff has never been so shiny....(done the rouge, luxi and a few unknowns,.....but this is head and shoulders above)!!!

Dennis
14-07-2014, 09:25 PM
Well I've not found fabulustre since I bought it about 3 or 4 years ago and I can't recall how much I paid for it ... what I do know is it is a never ending tube always disappointing when you want an excuse to buy something new. Dennis what do you use?

I never use any paste at all, only MicroMesh, Radial disks, or my tumbler with Burnishing Soap"B".

theresa
14-07-2014, 10:00 PM
I have Tripoli, Rouge & recently Luxi, I bought the first 2 when starting out and had little experience of polishing.
Since someone (Dennis I think) recommended Micromesh cloths I have used these and the finish is great, especially if you tumble afterwards.
If too shiny I usually take it down with the yellow radial abrasive disc on my flex shaft which gives a lovely soft satin finish. I hardly use the polish now.