PDA

View Full Version : Spray lacquer

Vanessa
09-07-2014, 07:35 PM
Hello

Please excuse my spelling of lacquer I'm sure it's not right... anyway. I used a spray lacquer on a jewellery item I've been working on made from brass and am puzzled by the result. The blurb on the reverse of the can (sorry I forget the brand now but its a good one) states it's for wood and metals and says spray onto grease free surface leave for twenty minutes spray again and so on max coating three layers.

So I ensured the piece was grease free and placed the first piece into my home made spray chamber did as was requested with the first piece all good carried on until first piece was complete (all three layers of spray) and started on the second piece same method but the second coat bubbled up so assuming it was not clean I started again removed the lacquer and degreased and sprayed again three attempts later and almost an entire day wasted the second piece was sprayed and dry and both pieces looked lovely, a bit of burnishing cream to finish it (I thought) and it'll look nice. I was a bit tired and hungry so I left both pieces in the 'work in progress' box and returned to it a day or so later and was horrified... both pieces had a crackle glaze effect and picking the pieces up to inspect the lacquer fell off like dust. I hurried to my dad (as any girl would in such circumstances) proclaimed ny disbelief and asked him why!? He had no answer he uses the lacquer for finishing his woodturned pieces with no such problem. hmpf I thought

So does anyone have any idea why? Is it because I used brass?
I am lacquering the piece as I am riveting two pieces together and there are parts that will be exposed but difficult to reach and clean. One of the pieces has been efco enamelled so can't really throw it into a pickle to clean like I would with normal enamel.

I am grateful for any advice.

Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

medusa
09-07-2014, 08:03 PM
maybe the metal was subjected to heat in some way and expanded cracking the varnish? What's efco enamel?

Dennis
09-07-2014, 09:02 PM
Just assume that the lacquer is not suitable. I have used clear spray lacquer many times on brass, and provided it is allowed to dry undisturbed it will be fine. The only precaution is that it should be used out of doors because it is very toxic if inhaled.

A current favourite is this one: https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#bpcl=40096503&hl=en&q=krylon+clear+spray. Dennis.

Vanessa
10-07-2014, 01:49 PM
Thanks Dennis. Its by chestnut the lacquer I used. I'll try another.

Medusa it's not been by any heat source at all. Efco is a low heat enamel like a resin rather than proper enamel.
V :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk