PDA

View Full Version : Just joined

BarryM
07-07-2014, 07:13 AM
Hi, i am Barry and live in rural Somerset and have always had an interest in Jewellery making snd silversmithing. Having recently retired I have set myself up with a little workarea and made a bench and bought the basic tools.

I have started with some simple silver rings and an etched pill box, all in sterling. Had a few problems with soldering to start with but after some practice it is going OK.

Hope to pick up some good tips here, also have followed a few of the excellent uTube training videos.

I understand the basic regs about hallmarking, can I mark things I make with "sterling" or "925" if under the legal weight limit? It is not clear on the Assay office website.

All the best, BarryM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveLAO
07-07-2014, 08:32 AM
Hi Barry and welcome to the forum. As you know, silver items under 7.78g don't need hallmarking, but stamping them "925" on its own actually means nothing at all as that number has to be part of an official hallmark in order for it to signify sterling silver.
Marking "sterling" on an underweight item is slightly different as this is a proper description rather than just three numbers, and if its underweight, although you are not infringing hallmarking laws you may be contravening trade's descriptions laws instead if the items turn out not to be up to standard.

BarryM
07-07-2014, 09:12 AM
Thanks for your full reply, as I only have used Sterling stock from Cooksons it should be "kosher"👍

Jasdir Singh Jaura
07-07-2014, 02:31 PM
:) Welcome :)

caroleallen
07-07-2014, 04:35 PM
Hi Barry and welcome.

lorraineflee
07-07-2014, 08:17 PM
Hi and welcome from me too!

ShinyLauren
08-07-2014, 05:10 PM
Welcome to the forum Barry :)

Tabby66
09-07-2014, 08:29 PM
Welcome Barry, hope you enjoy the forum, there are some nice and helpful folk around :)

BarryM
11-07-2014, 03:45 PM
Thanks for your welcome(s) just finished my first "commercial" project making a bangle and matching earring set. It has gone really well and i am really pleased with the result.

Customer is a friend of my daughter in law, and she is most impressed, gave me quite a buzz aeeing her face when she opened the box.

I have spent my whole career in "knowledge" industries and the pleasure in actually making a beautiful object is wonderful 👍

CJ57
11-07-2014, 05:33 PM
Hi Barry glad your first commission went well. It's a real buzz when others like your work

theresa
12-07-2014, 04:05 PM
Welcome from me too. I agree with Caroline about the buzz.....

Keia
12-07-2014, 06:07 PM
Congratulations on your first commission & a welcome to the forum from me too =)

LydiaNiz
12-07-2014, 06:41 PM
Hello Barry,
Congrats! And welcome :-D

BarryM
15-07-2014, 06:07 PM
As you know this is a hobby and i have, yet, to register with the Assay office so everything I make is not hall marked. To make it worthwhile I need to charge reasonable rates (also not to be unfair competition to those who actually make a living from silversmithing / jewellery making).

Any tips on pricing?

mizgeorge
15-07-2014, 06:13 PM
Have a search through the forum Barry - there really are a lot of threads about pricing and the various formulas that can be used, as well as many wildly varying opinions on the subject!

germy
22-07-2014, 03:34 PM
Me too,hello!