PDA

View Full Version : Lapidary

pm.mcs
08-07-2009, 06:53 PM
Hi,

If you are branching out a bit more it would be nice to see some lapidary equipment, there is currently only one real supplier that I have found in the U.K. I would love to be able to buy slabs of rock and or expanding disks etc.

Please help.

Paula

Milomade
08-07-2009, 07:52 PM
what is lapidary?

MuranoSilver
08-07-2009, 09:05 PM
Lapidary is the craft of cutting and polishing stone :)
You'll find more info here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lapidary

Nicola x

wendy
08-07-2009, 09:34 PM
I agree, I've always fancied having a go at stone cutting, especially when I read mags like Lapidiary Journal and see what they make in America! Maybe if the equipment was more readily available in this country more people would flourish in the art. Is there anyone here who cuts stones? I'd love to find a supplier of unusual/custom cut stones that are available online (I live in North Wales miles away from anywhere, and even further from stone suppliers!!).
Wend

HMPjewellery
08-07-2009, 10:36 PM
Hi Paula

I got my tumbler from ukge. not sure if this is the one you are talking about but they are pretty good.

good luck

pm.mcs
10-07-2009, 06:28 PM
Hi All,

I cut and polish stones. I agree, it is hard to get the machinery over here, so far I have bought older machines off ebay. I work with any slabs that I can get my hands on. I have done some cutting and polishing of malachite which is a green stripey stone - it polishes to a lovely gloss shine though.

I tend not to do tumbling as the process takes too long for me. I am quite impatient.

I will try and post some pictures soon.

Have fun.

Paula

Ominicci
16-07-2009, 04:16 PM
I have done Lapidary in the past (20 + years ago in my teens) and loved it. Have found a club in Bristol through a friend but not been yet. Am planning to go when more settled with new business. Not sure I would want to get the kit as I don't have the room and it is a bit messier than silverwork! Also going to a club often means there are often helpful people there for advice!