PDA

View Full Version : How to repair a hollw item ?

Celtic Dreams
01-07-2014, 07:25 PM
I have an old wedding band. Its fully D shaped in the classic style but hollow and completely sealed. The ring has several small dents in it. How can I remove these dents without being able to get inside it?

caroleallen
01-07-2014, 08:18 PM
I don't think you can Dave but I'd be interested to hear other people's thoughts.

ps_bond
01-07-2014, 08:52 PM
You can't force the dents out, but you can fill them with a laser or a PUK.

Paget Jewellery
01-07-2014, 08:58 PM
hey, tricky one dave definitely, recast if all else fails? or depending how big the dents are file them out and use a mass of solder? hmm let me know be interested to know how its resolved....

Paget Jewellery
01-07-2014, 09:01 PM
nice, whats a PUK?

Myosotis
01-07-2014, 09:06 PM
A trick I was taught to repair hollow bangles is to solder a reasonable thickness wire on the outside of the dent, then pull the wire to pull the dent out and then unsolder the wire. Not sure it would work on something as small as a ring though.

art925
02-07-2014, 06:33 AM
A trick I was taught to repair hollow bangles is to solder a reasonable thickness wire on the outside of the dent, then pull the wire to pull the dent out and then unsolder the wire. Not sure it would work on something as small as a ring though. Neat trick!

Celtic Dreams
19-07-2014, 12:29 AM
That's what I thought of doing. rather like car bodywork

Jasdir Singh Jaura
19-07-2014, 06:31 AM
I have an old wedding band. Its fully D shaped in the classic style but hollow and completely sealed. The ring has several small dents in it. How can I remove these dents without being able to get inside it?
Option 1st: Fill the dents with solder. File them, buff them, finish them.

Option 2nd: Bring it to me, I'll do it with 100% guarantee, But I'll charge :)

Jasdir Singh Jaura
19-07-2014, 06:34 AM
A trick I was taught to repair hollow bangles is to solder a reasonable thickness wire on the outside of the dent, then pull the wire to pull the dent out and then unsolder the wire. Not sure it would work on something as small as a ring though.
Of course this works, but doesn't brings a good finish.