PDA

View Full Version : Koi there

Wallace
26-06-2014, 07:51 PM

I was given a Citrine that has a sentimental value to the customer. Its size: 15 mm x 12mm x 9mm I was asked if I could set a small stone - and this arrived. Given my preference for stones 4mm and smaller, this one looked like a Whale. I was sent it at the end of last year with the remit that time wasn't a problem, the customer liked birds and fish.

It is so big that making a pendant would mean that the wearer might find it too awkward to wear comfortably and given a limit on the budget - use of metal was limited. Soooo, I went back to basics with my basic drawing skills and tried to capture a fish in the curving arc of the table.... It seemed to work on paper. so I did a test cut in .5mm. That worked, so I did the real thing in 1mm.

I have set it into a secure bezel setting on the reverse plate and then through rivets to give a cold connection, linked the top.

I like it. It isn't too heavy and the colour of the stone can still be seen. The stone has a huge inclusion and that is almost hidden by the design, so another bonus.

Lots of learning on this mahoosive beastie.

mizgeorge
26-06-2014, 08:19 PM
I think that's just lovely Wallace - and SO clever :)

Nick martin
26-06-2014, 08:23 PM
Highly original and imaginative, brilliant!

Dennis
26-06-2014, 09:52 PM
Really like it Wallace. That's thinking outside the box, if ever there was.

Petal
26-06-2014, 10:33 PM
Really beautiful Wallace!!

Cripple in Heels
26-06-2014, 11:34 PM
How on earth did you think of that?! Brilliant 🌟

Mel

Wallace
27-06-2014, 04:07 AM
Thank you so much for the feedback xxx

Patstone
27-06-2014, 05:26 AM
Beautiful work Wallace, really good idea. I have never tried riveting, but looking at the top it looks more soldered than riveted, just one question, when you rivet do you have to make a "v" shape on the top where you bash the rivet into so it looks flat on finishing. Presumably you have a tube on top of the wire that you are using as a rivet to support the top, but you would think that it would all collapse, or do you do it as if you were flush setting a stone. Cant work it out, sorry for being a nuisance again.

Wallace
27-06-2014, 05:52 AM
Beautiful work Wallace, really good idea. I have never tried riveting, but looking at the top it looks more soldered than riveted, just one question, when you rivet do you have to make a "v" shape on the top where you bash the rivet into so it looks flat on finishing. Presumably you have a tube on top of the wire that you are using as a rivet to support the top, but you would think that it would all collapse, or do you do it as if you were flush setting a stone. Cant work it out, sorry for being a nuisance again.
Hi Pat, never a nuisance!

You did work it out though.

I used a ball burr to help make a recess for the squished metal to from and fit into to create a locked fitting. Then filed it down to be flush. First time I have done anything like it, so it took a few goes to get it sorted.

The 1mm thick wire is supported by 2mm tubing. I drilled it out a little, to be 1mm wide to take the wire snugly.

X

ShinyLauren
27-06-2014, 07:13 AM
Love this Wallace! Such a clever design.

Lucie
27-06-2014, 10:13 AM
Beautiful Wallace :)

Wallace
27-06-2014, 01:01 PM
thank you again. lovely to get the feedback and very appreciated. :D

theresa
27-06-2014, 01:48 PM
That's utterly gorgeous Wallace - you are so clever with your designs.

Tabby66
27-06-2014, 07:56 PM
Brilliant Wallace and looks like you have achieved riveting perfection!!

Wallace
27-06-2014, 11:37 PM
Thank you... Very kind and lovely of everyone to take time to comment. I am very grateful.

I still have loads to learn, develop and understand. Since raking redundancy and now doing this as my job, I think it gives me time to work out new areas or ideas without worrying about time like I used to.

So much still to learn. Lockets are looming for a customer request.

LydiaNiz
28-06-2014, 11:27 AM
nice thinking and a really unusual piece!

Wallace
30-06-2014, 08:03 PM
thank you Lydia.

I 'ave been at it again! lol