PDA

View Full Version : How to grow your own gold rings

geti-titanium
27-08-2009, 10:59 PM
Not strictly laser welding but, it is now possible to build a 3D component using a selective laser melting machine which builds high quality parts and tooling inserts from almost any type of metal: Stainless steel tool steel, titanium, cobalt-chrome, various nonferrous-metals. The process is perfectly suited for jewellery and dental applications, for example rings, pendants, individually generated medical implants, dental bridges and crowns from Cobalt chrome and stainless steel (316L).

The machine deposits a layer of metal powder and then laser fuses it to the previous layer to build up the component from a 3D image. In the case of a dental implant, the resulting surface finish is perfect for the overlaying ceramic layer to bond onto.

It's an amazing machine to see working

ben b
28-08-2009, 09:35 PM

Bernie
03-09-2009, 01:07 PM
That sounds totally awesome, I'd love to see that working.
It sounds similar to the 3D printing where you can make full item out of a special plastic even with captive parts in it.

ps_bond
03-09-2009, 01:22 PM
I've seen an earlier laser sintering machine out in Malaysia - was quite impressive to watch as a stream of powdered metal was poured over a rotating turntable, with the object gradually emerging from the stream.

Bernie
03-09-2009, 06:55 PM
Sounds like something from Star Trek.

geti-titanium
03-09-2009, 10:25 PM
Sounds like something from Star Trek.

It's the stuff of dreams :)

It sounds similar to the 3D printing where you can make full item out of a special plastic even with captive parts in it.

Yes it is - it cuts out the whole casting process, I've even seen examples of chain maille made using the process

Dano
05-09-2009, 02:49 PM
i reaaaally want to try one of these machines. make your design up in rhino or autocad and hit print, badabing.

one day i'll find someone with a proper laser cutter who i can bribe into cutting me the parts for a reprap extruder (http://reprap.org/bin/view/Main/WebHome)

feels kinda like cheating, but SCIENCE is fantastic!