PDA

View Full Version : Bezel setting a drusy

medusa
12-06-2014, 10:49 AM
I bought a rather lovely drusy cab (this one: https://www.etsy.com/transaction/203395460) and I'd like to bezel set it. It's been cut so it has decent slope to the shoulders but I want to be sure that it's secure and protected.

I'd like to set it in a thick gold bezel and have a huge 9ct gold wedding ring. Could I re-use this as a bezel? I've not done much with gold before so I'm worried it might be too hard. The alternative I had thought of was laminating some 22ct to silver and rolling it down to size so I have the look, but at a reduced cost. It's for personal wear so I wouldn't be getting it hallmarked.

What is the best way to go about this and am I being unrealistic about using the gold?

Dennis
12-06-2014, 11:09 AM
9ct gold is rather tough to set and might need a punch and hammer to do so. But if your druzy is square, or rectangular, you can make fine cuts at the corners to help you along.

Below are two of my efforts with druzies, where I just ensured a close fit and used waterproof (the slow) epoxy, as it does not show with opaque stones. Dennis.

medusa
12-06-2014, 11:30 AM
hmmm mine is a bit irregular in shape. I hadn't thought of gluing them. It almost seems like cheating! What do you think of my idea of laminating gold and silver? Is that a waste of time for this?

Dennis
12-06-2014, 05:48 PM
If you want the gold on silver effect, that's OK, but you need a mill to do it well:
Roll out the gold to about 0.4mm and sweat solder to silver sheet, say 1.0mm.Then roll, roll texture, or hammer texture to the required thickness.
Below is one of my first brooches done like that, and also as you mention it,a more irregular setting.

ShinyLauren
12-06-2014, 08:57 PM
I do love a drusy!

I've not done the fusing gold to silver thing, but I have set a couple of stones with chunky 9ct gold bezels and it was an absolute arse to do! I found the metal really difficult to push over the stones, but I did probably leave it much too thick.

Tabby66
13-06-2014, 08:34 AM
I'd be reluctant to use 9ct (and especially melted and reused) gold, I think it will be a bit tough and you have a high risk of damaging the drusy. I would go with the laminated 22ct on silver and make sure that I didn't leave the edge to be pushed over too thick.

(I love that pendant Dennis!!)

medusa
14-06-2014, 05:56 PM
Thanks all, Well I do have a mill! If I laminate 0.4mm to silver and roll it down thinner, how thin will the gold go before it starts to stop being gold and become silver?

I figured the ring would be no good plus being 9ct it lacks a decent gold colour, which is the whole point. I've seen and admired that necklace before Dennis, how do you get the bezel to the right shape? Mine is almost but not quite oval and I worry about making a good fit.

Now all I need to do is save up for some gold!

Dennis
14-06-2014, 08:07 PM
How do you get the bezel to the right shape? Mine is almost but not quite oval and I worry about making a good fit.

The secret is to work on a home made mini-light box. It consists of a plastic box with a flat top and a cheap LED, battery powered cupboard light, from Robert Dyas, a hardware shop. The light has two layers of white tape to cut the glare. It will clearly show the fit, or lack of fit.

Sorry this brings on more pix. Dennis

Wallace
14-06-2014, 10:00 PM
I have set two of those beasties

6270 and
but only as pendants. the first one, the heart was for someone with a visual impairment, so it was made with textures and a-symmetrical to give it a unique feel and be unique.

the dark one, the only way to keep that beastie in was to have the tightest fit, and cut a little jagged edge to help push over in places to match with the crystal growths. Not much to offer - but was thinking maybe, that you can see the way the stone has been secured, if it becomes a feature and then enjoy it's delicious greenness as it is a phwoar druzy :D

Tabby66
14-06-2014, 11:05 PM
Those are gorgeous Wallace, I really like how you've shaped the bezel on the first one to keep the druzy in!!

Dennis
15-06-2014, 01:52 AM
Thank you for joining in Wallace, we can now provide all night entertainment. It reminds me of the man who had a talking dog:

He made him sit on a druzy and said to the dog, 'how's that'? and the dog said 'RUFF'.

medusa
15-06-2014, 09:50 AM
The secret is to work on a home made mini-light box. It consists of a plastic box with a flat top and a cheap LED, battery powered cupboard light, from Robert Dyas, a hardware shop. The light has two layers of white tape to cut the glare. It will clearly show the fit, or lack of fit.

Sorry this brings on more pix. Dennis

nifty, hopefully that will work with my slanty sided cab

Those are gorgeous Wallace, I really like how you've shaped the bezel on the first one to keep the druzy in!!
agreed, really lovely, wallace!

Thank you for joining in Wallace, we can now provide all night entertainment. It reminds me of the man who had a talking dog:

He made him sit on a druzy and said to the dog, 'how's that'? and the dog said 'RUFF'.
dear lord, you really should have gone to bed earlier! :D