PDA

View Full Version : How is this used

trialuser
12-06-2014, 10:16 AM
Please could someone explain how this type of setting is meant to be used, I don't understand the description.
Illusion plate setting (http://www.cooksongold.com/Settings/9ct-White-Setting-With-Illusion----Plate-prcode-NC1-S248)
My best guess is to use it to sort of 'gypsy' set a stone in a claw setting, but that seems a bit odd.
Cheers.

ps_bond
12-06-2014, 10:23 AM
By setting the stone in a larger, shiny plate (be it gypsy or grain set) where the plate is in turn held in a larger setting it's meant to give the impression of a bigger stone.

trialuser
12-06-2014, 10:43 AM
Thanks Peter.

Dennis
12-06-2014, 10:50 AM
I don't know whether it is the intention here, but when stones are flush set, they can also have bright cut lines engraved from the stone outwards, to form a star. This enhances the size of the stone and is called an illusion setting. Dennis.

ps_bond
12-06-2014, 10:55 AM
Which neatly highlights one of the problems in stone setting (as well as the stone) - I know that as a star setting, rather than an illusion setting.
Had someone asking me about a gypsy-set ring in the gallery the other day, which confused me slightly as I didn't have any flush-set work on display.

ShinyLauren
12-06-2014, 09:13 PM
Good to know! I used to work on the counter at Cooksons back in the day. Illusion settings were very popular sales items, but I never understood what they were for!