PDA

View Full Version : Selling in Galleries

KarolinaMoon
10-06-2014, 11:52 AM
Does anyone sell their jewellery in galleries? I have recently sold a few pieces via a relatively new gallery, but Im finding getting payment from the owner rather difficult! Most galleries take 40% (or even 50%) commission, which is tough enough, but it is good way of promoting your work...so I dont mind too much...
However, when paying the artist is slow, and the gallery records seem very lax (as in not knowing which pieces have sold, prices etc)...it does make it very frustrating!! Has anyone else come across this, and how do you deal with it? I keep records of everything I have sent to galleries thank goodness, but I am finding having to chase payments exhausting and it is taking away from the enjoyment of actually making jewellery. Not sure what to do! I dont really want to go down the route of craft stalls etc....but maybe it is something I should consider?

caroleallen
10-06-2014, 01:27 PM
I think I've always been lucky with galleries. It's probably because the gallery is new and haven't sorted out their procedures yet. If it's a local gallery, I would call round in person and ask for your money. They'll probably pay up right away to avoid embarrassment with customers. Start off being discrete though!

KarolinaMoon
10-06-2014, 02:11 PM
Thanks Carole, that is part of the issue though...I did call round with the gallery, and the owner stated the computer was down so didnt have access to his records...he then asked me to have a look and see what has sold (expecting me to remember prices etc off the top of my head). He ended up paying me for 2 items (and making up a figure in his head for one of the items)......so I left under paid.... Now I have emailed him, with the items he still owes me for, but I have had no response. He has been updating his facebook page, but has failed to reply to me....which I find odd.
I think I've always been lucky with galleries. It's probably because the gallery is new and haven't sorted out their procedures yet. If it's a local gallery, I would call round in person and ask for your money. They'll probably pay up right away to avoid embarrassment with customers. Start off being discrete though!

Tabby66
10-06-2014, 03:01 PM
That does sound poor Karolina. I too have been fortunate, but I've only had work with established galleries. I think Carole is probably right, that they haven't got their procedures properly in place, nor their priorities (it would seem)!! I would invoice him for the work again and then go in person, with a copy of the invoice to collect payment, perhaps take the complete record of what you supplied, so that if anything else has sold you will have the correct price available to you!!
Best of luck :)

LydiaNiz
10-06-2014, 03:44 PM
Oh it's annoying. I'd email with a list of what has been supplied with the pieces sold clearly marked and the balance owed you. I'd ask him to please contact you within X days to confirm receipt of the email and to let you know when you're getting paid.
I only have things in one gallery at the moment, and they send me a list of what's sold monthly and I get paid on the last day of the month for anything that's gone.

art925
10-06-2014, 03:45 PM
I don't have galleries take my work unless they sign a consignment contract that I have created. I sign it and they sign it, so no messing it is a legal document between us as professionals. It states the sales breakdown and the prices I agree they can sell items for. Moreover it states my proportion of the sale in value not as a percetage, so if they do sell for less, they take the hit not me. If they want to take such a high proportion for the sale, you have to expect them to work for it.
les

mizgeorge
10-06-2014, 04:54 PM
This is one of the reasons I never do sale or return. I only sell outright to galleries (or anyone else for that matter). I do give them very attractive wholesale rates, but only to an extent that I'm happy with. The pieces are then theirs to do with as they wish - they can sell them as their own if they wish, or under my name if they prefer. It's up to them to display and promote them - and as they've already paid for them they have a vested interest in doing so, whereas SoR items are often sadly neglected, undusted and badly displayed.

Unfortunately, I've heard far too many tales of galleries not paying on time, disappearing (sometimes along with all their stock) and generally taking advantage of makers to ever get involved with them in that way again. We don't expect other types of shop to not pay their suppliers until after their goods have been sold (though with many standard terms of business these days, that may well be the reality), so I've never understood why these businesses expect to get away with it.

CJ57
10-06-2014, 05:32 PM
Paying up is about the best thing my new gallery does and so far it's been monthly. Neglected, unlit which makes it look very dull and dirty when it isn't. Why do they light every painting but not a case of silver:( my packaging used for someone else's work so a few boxes missing when I change over. Supplying my own display so I had to go and get it for the OS, just refused to give him my good pieces this time until he buys some stands instead of expecting me to lay them on an unlit shelf.
I would go personally rather than email, that way you can just wait to be paid. I'm not sure it's worth the hassle with galleries to get your name out there if they actually can't be bothered. As George said if they buy it they can then do what they like with it but being a bit anal about the condition it goes in and how I display it myself makes me want to cry really.

caroleallen
10-06-2014, 05:44 PM
I agree with George about not doing sor. I only have one gallery that does that now and they pay up swiftly so I don't mind.

KarolinaMoon
11-06-2014, 09:45 AM
He eventually replied to my email and invoice last night...says he will send me a cheque for the outstanding balance....we will wait and see..... He just seems so disorganised and his records must be all over the place. Makes me feel very uneasy about leaving my work with him....but it is there and it is selling very well.....so I shall leave it in for now and hope it improves. I was a bit disappointed with how my work is displayed also....none of the jewellers appear to have a shelf dedicated to just their work....all the jewellery is mixed throughout the cabinets.....some of the work is difficult to see, hidden away so you really have to look otherwise you will miss it!

CJ57
11-06-2014, 10:25 AM
Oh well at least mine has only 2 jewellers and we have a case each albeit unlit and lacking in display:)

KarolinaMoon
11-06-2014, 11:57 AM
yes, thats not so bad having your own display cabinet! :)
The cabinets at the gallery Im at are crammed full...though he does have the artists/jewellers name put beside each piece of jewellery on a nice card....
The other thing is he keeps asking me for more and more work because it is selling well.....I dont intend to put anything more in his gallery for now until I see how things go...I have another gallery I will be sending jewellery to soon, so I will concentrate more on it for now...

Oh well at least mine has only 2 jewellers and we have a case each albeit unlit and lacking in display:)

mizgeorge
11-06-2014, 03:04 PM
If it's selling well and he's asking for more, he should be happy to pay up front for it...

LydiaNiz
12-06-2014, 09:36 AM
I have had a good gallery thing today, the lady who runs the one I sell in has just bought enough of the stock I sent (prior to it even going on the shelves) that I can afford to pay for my stall at Made By Hand this autumn (was getting close to deadline and I was getting a bit angsty!) and get some materials in to actually make things. Yay!

ShinyLauren
12-06-2014, 09:14 PM
I have had a good gallery thing today, the lady who runs the one I sell in has just bought enough of the stock I sent (prior to it even going on the shelves) that I can afford to pay for my stall at Made By Hand this autumn (was getting close to deadline and I was getting a bit angsty!) and get some materials in to actually make things. Yay!

Hurrah!

Edit: apparently hurrah is too short a message to post, so also yay!

KarolinaMoon
12-06-2014, 09:58 PM
Yayyy, thats great news Lydia!! Galleries do have their good points! ;)