PDA

View Full Version : Rose gold cufflinks

Lucie
04-06-2014, 10:28 PM
Does anyone know if it's possible to buy rose gold cufflink backs from anywhere?
Or what would be the best substitute if they don't exist? Thank you :)

Dennis
05-06-2014, 12:24 AM
Hi Lucie, here is what was said earlier regarding red/rose gold: http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5877&highlight=rose+gold

You might find the blanks difficult to source. If no one comes up with an answer, why not cut them from red gold sheet. Dennis.

CJ57
05-06-2014, 12:56 AM
I used to make my cufflink backs in square or round silver wire, obviously that would be too expensive in gold but as Dennis said you could make them in sheet with a non swivel end or a riveted swivel end

mizgeorge
05-06-2014, 08:06 AM
Or make chain backs with four soldered links and a t-bar?

Lucie
05-06-2014, 08:19 AM
Hi guys. Thanks for this.
I'm casting the front of the cufflinks, so that bits not a problem. I think I'd play around a bit more if this was silver, but with my almost pathological fear of messing up lumps of gold, I think it might be best to stick with the chain idea :)
Would you just make the bar from wire?

Dennis
05-06-2014, 09:24 AM
A curved wire bar, or even sheet cut into an arc could turn out to be rather expensive. So I would make a chain using 0.7mm round wire jump rings made with a burr shank as a mandrel and then stretch it slightly by pulling, so that the links end up oval.

The other end would need a T-bar as per George, or a torpedo shape scribed onto say1.0mm sheet using an oval template.

The length of chain would be about 12-14mm, about six links plus fixings, so that the T-bar or torpedo is easy to push through the second button hole.

The fixings can be jump rings soldered to the ends, but still open at one side, so that you can slip on the chain and then solder them closed. Dennis.

Lucie
05-06-2014, 04:19 PM
Thank you for the detailed instructions Dennis - very helpful :)