PDA

View Full Version : I'm New!

jenna
18-06-2009, 11:05 AM
Hi. I'm jenna, a 2nd year jewellery student from Birmingham. I appear to be the first person to comment on this forum which is cool. I'm assuming its new, found you accidently actually. Been using cooksongold site for a couple of years now and like their work.

I look forward to chatting with lots of interesting people in the future!!!
:D

EmmaP
18-06-2009, 12:31 PM
Hi
I'm a Designer based in reading, a year on from my jewellery course .. I think I'm getting the hang of soldering, but by no means an expert! Work mainly in silver, make lots of earrings (there nice and easy) and have recently tried selling my pieces at local fairs. Limited success.

GillJewel
18-06-2009, 12:38 PM
Hi I'm gill just started out making, finding it exciting but at the same time frustrating! Week 5 of my course and I beginning to get the hang of some things. Trying to make a silver ring as my first proper piece.

laura webb
01-07-2009, 03:07 PM
I love my jewellery. I'm what I'd call a freelance deigner and jewellery maker. Enjoying life. Would love to chat to you guys about jewellery. Looking forward to it!!!

noelsharpe
01-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Hi

I am just starting out; have been fascinated with jewellery / bullion / gems all my life. I am a programmer by day and a jeweller by night. I am working on contract in Reading, so spend all week away from my family, which means I can indulge my hobby rather more than if I were staying at home. I only have a modest bench, but I'm adding tools all the time - I do like tools... Next on my list is a mill...

I'd post a link to some of the stuff I've done, but I don't think I'm allowed to yet. Google will probably find me.

Noel

laura webb
01-07-2009, 07:17 PM
Hi Noel,
Gr8 to see guys like who make jewellery for the love it as well the day job. Glad to hear you're getting in to it!!! It gets better the more you achieve :)

I know I can't wait until I can start posting links too. Says you only have to make 15 posts then we can post as many links as we like which is cool. Might just post lots of links today and tomorrow so I can start showing some work off etc.

Lau

noelsharpe
01-07-2009, 08:30 PM
I am sure I'll reach the required 15 posts in no time at all...

Where can I see the stuff you're making?

AlexandraBuckle
02-07-2009, 09:14 AM
Hello,
I've been designing and making silver jewellery for a few years.

I'm glad cooksons has a new forum, it will be nice to meet lots of other jewellery enthusiasts :)

Bee
03-07-2009, 07:51 AM
Hi, I'm Bee!

I took several silversmithing courses about 7 years ago and have since incorporated lampworked and fused glass into my skillset.

I currently work as a 3D Design Technician in a university, having ditched my well-paid but stressful job as a Telecoms Analyst this year. (Wooo!)

Now I've got lots of toys to play with and I intend to make full use of them...

Thank you CooksonGold, for setting up a forum!!

:)

Lindsay
03-07-2009, 09:59 AM
Good to see lots of interesting people. This forum should really get busy considering its hosted by cookson. I really have struggled to find good mainstream jewellery forums so good work cookson.

I'm an aspiring jewellery maker. I've not been making for long, however jewellery has been a passion of mine for many many many years. At the moment I'm not really confident enough to be selling my stuff through proper channels but I will - maybe one day. Looking forward to chatting.;)

ojee
04-07-2009, 11:34 AM
hey
just joined.. from Ireland,starting up my own bussiness after working for years for someone else-the joys of being your own boss!!.. cant wait to get a mill too Noel!

lorraineflee
04-07-2009, 06:41 PM
I've been doing a jewellery making course since September and buying myself equipment ready for retirement (partly retired in September and heading for full retirement this year). Looking forward to seeing what others are making and improving what I am doing.

agent_44
05-07-2009, 02:16 PM
Hey

I'm new too, will be going into business with my jewellery over the next few months. I have been working full time as a Web Developer so haven't had the time to take it too seriously but I finish on the 17th July and then I will be self employed. Can't wait! Excited about this forum, looks like it will be a great resource!

Lucinda x

Dano
05-07-2009, 06:41 PM
hey everyone =D
also new here but who isn't right now? i did 3 years of jewellery at leeds college of art and design after finding i didn't much like general art, and i'm loving it, mostly a hobby but i'm hoping one day to turn it into a business when i can be bothered getting off my bum and doing it.

currently i'm enjoying making complicated weave chains, it's jewellery and a logic puzzle at the same time, tomorrow who knows? teapots?

HMPjewellery
05-07-2009, 11:03 PM
Hi Guys, im looking forward to being a part of this new forum, it looks fab.
you all seem extremely friendly and interesting. Yaey Cooksons...:)

Im Hannah. I have been making jewellery for a few years now, i did a degree in contemporary crafts and moved on to teaching myself resin skills, which i now mix with Silver to create my bejewelments. Currently living in Dorset but moving to Cornwall in the near future :)

looking forward to meeting you all.

Hannah x

AlexandraBuckle
06-07-2009, 08:20 AM
Hi Hannah,
where did you do your contemporary crafts course?
I did Design: Crafts at Staffordshire Uni. I graduated in 2004.

It was great cos it was so varied.

HMPjewellery
06-07-2009, 08:27 AM
Hi Alexandra.
I went to Uni in Falmouth, like your course it was a very varied....in hindsight i wish i'd taken advantage more of the facilities. hayho.

Missing Falmouth lots hence me and my partner moving back there soon yippiee :p

Hannah

angel85
06-07-2009, 03:03 PM
Hey, I registered just a few days ago when there was only a bout 3 or 4 posts on here - gr8 to see this new forum is getting a good response. Lots a interesting members already!
Look forward to chatting in the future. ;)

wendy
07-07-2009, 10:56 AM
I'm Wendy, a jeweller from North Wales mostly working to commission, but hoping to ditch the commissions soon and concentrate on my own designs! Also work as a jewellery tutor and craft curator.

I'm so chuffed to find that we have a jewellery forum in the UK at last! I've been on Ganoksin and a couple of other mainly American sites, the work they make is amazing over there but I've always hoped to find a UK based chatroom!

Looking forward to being able to see everyone's work when we can post links!

Wend

cybik
07-07-2009, 02:01 PM
Hi! I'm Sana and I live in rural south-west Scotland. I finished my degree in Jewellery and Metalwork last year (I went to UCA in Farnham).

Glad Cookson's have started this forum - it's great there's a UK based site!

ruthie
07-07-2009, 02:23 PM
Hi! Great to see this forum too. I only started silver jewellery making at evening classes 9 months ago but I absolutely love it. Have made a few items for friends and myself and have already got carried away with buying tools and other bits and pieces. Certainly an addictive hobby!

Looking forward to finding some great tips on this forum from the professionals :-).

Twink
07-07-2009, 02:48 PM
Hi its great to see so many people already on the site. I have only just found out about it through an email from Cooksons. I completed my two year course last year and although I work full time teaching Care I spend my spare time making silver jewellery and attending craft fairs to sell it. I really love hearing the comments from the public when they come to the fairs and it helps when making other designs. This is my second year doing fairs and although I have had mixed results on the whole not bad. I also really love looking through the web site at Cooksons to decide what piece of equipment I must have next. Thinking about cold enamels next has anyone tried them yet and if you have are they any good.

kianda
07-07-2009, 07:32 PM
Hello from Devon! Jewellery designing is my full-time job and I work mainly with gemstone beads and wire. I've been selling my work online for about 7 years now ~ I started off on eBay and now sell on Etsy and my own website, as well as having a small jewellery boutique here in Ilfracombe.

HedgeWitch
07-07-2009, 08:28 PM
Hello! At last, a british jewellery making forum! and hopefully a busy one too :cool:

My Name is Nikki, i'm living in Lancaster, and i've just started out making silver jewellery. I'm a huge fan of the steampunk style, although not technically good enough to execute it just yet. Hopefully i'll get better at it. :D

SilverDee
08-07-2009, 03:57 PM
Well, where do I start?
Oh yes, at the beginning.
I have been doing a night school that evolved into a daytime class for the last 30+ years. It doesn't mean I'm very good. It means I enjoy it. Over the years I've tried all sorts of techniques, made all sorts of things, found what I like and don't like doing. For instance, I hate filing, but sawing I just love.
I love making chains and all my family and friends laugh at me because I wear so many on my wrist - all the time. It's hard though. I make something & I want to wear it.
At the moment I'm into making pendants using fordite. If you don't know what fordite is, just google it or look on ebay. It's super.
This last year my enthusiasm for jewellery has really returned. It's such a shame the college shuts down for the summer. I do try and do stuff at home, but it's difficult.

kaz
09-07-2009, 10:59 AM
Hey, as you have probably guested I am also new! I'm a jewellery student from the Midlands. Not too bad here, heard bad things before I moved up here. Looking forward to chatting with some fellow jewellery fanatics...

pauljoels
09-07-2009, 11:12 PM
I did a silversmithing evening course last year. Really enjoyed it, and my triumph/reason for doing it was to design/make my fiances engagement ring which was very successful in the end (although I didn't trust myself to set the stone as we were only taught cabochon settings and were no way near that point at the time).

In a couple of weeks I'm doing a stone setting course though as this is what I am really interested in at the moment.

It's interesting reading everyone's intro's as there are so many different backgrounds besides straight jewellery/craft types as well. I'm in pharmaceutical marketing/export in my full time capacity. I make for leisure at the moment, but would love to turn this into something on the side one day...

SilverByRosie
13-07-2009, 06:08 PM
Hello from Suffolk!

I started jewellery making so I could have jewellery I can actually wear (cursed allergies!) and now I'm selling it! It's still just a hobby, but hopefully one which will pay for itself :)

~Rosie

Ominicci
16-07-2009, 04:06 PM
Hello Everyone, nice to meet you!

Cahoot33
15-03-2016, 10:48 AM
How to find replies to the posting, if there are private messags

ps_bond
15-03-2016, 10:59 AM
How to find replies to the posting, if there are private messags

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/private.php will take you there