PDA

View Full Version : Enamelling

Latibah
03-06-2014, 03:53 PM
Hello all,

I've been using powder enamels on silver, melting them with a hand torch. The effect is ok on very small pieces, but it's bumpy, and I had trouble melting it on anything larger than a centimetre or so. Does anyone have any tips about doing this without using a kiln? Is it possible or should I just use the cold resin version? I'm rather charmed by the idea of using the real thing.

Thanks

caroleallen
03-06-2014, 05:46 PM
Enamel really should be stoned back and then re-fired to get it nice and smooth. If you're not keen on doing that, you could wet the enamel, paint it on and then tap the piece from underneath to get it fairly smooth.

ps_bond
03-06-2014, 05:50 PM
The guild of enamellers DVD shows a torch-fired kiln made with a tin can, a tripod and a chunk of ceramic wool. Looked quite effective.

Latibah
03-06-2014, 08:56 PM
Thanks! Caroleallen, which stone should I use? I have a Dremel and it has a fairly fine stone attachment.

I will look out for the guild of enamellers, ps_bond. The device you mention sounds like a pretty cool DIY set up, I will give that a go too.

caroleallen
03-06-2014, 09:21 PM
You could use alundum stone, though I much prefer to use diagrit which I get from Vitrum Signum.

Latibah
03-06-2014, 11:52 PM
You could use alundum stone, though I much prefer to use diagrit which I get from Vitrum Signum.

Do I need to start with the roughest and go down the grades?

ps_bond
04-06-2014, 06:04 AM
The DVD is here (http://www.guildofenamellers.org/index.php/dvds). It's not complex to build, the worst part is locating a source for a small amount of insulation; I can probably help if you need.

Lucie
04-06-2014, 11:21 AM
I Sooooo want to have a go at this now :D

caroleallen
04-06-2014, 12:58 PM
Yes, you do start with the coarsest and work down to the finest. It works best if you have a raised edge around your piece.

Latibah
05-06-2014, 11:45 AM
So, you grind it down until you have as smooth surface as possible, and then re-fire? And firing will restore the gloss, so you don't have to polish it or anything again after that? And the Diagrit is used by hand, not in a machine?

I'm sorry for all the questions, I'm very inexperienced and I don't want to buy the wrong tools.

Latibah
05-06-2014, 11:52 AM
The DVD is here (http://www.guildofenamellers.org/index.php/dvds). It's not complex to build, the worst part is locating a source for a small amount of insulation; I can probably help if you need.

Thanks for the link. Do you recommend it as a good DVD? I'm sure it would answer all my questions, however, twenty-eight pounds is quite a lot! It's one of those things, I'd rather spend the money on materials, but I expect I would save money by being better prepared and ending up doing less experimentation...

EmmaC
05-06-2014, 12:02 PM
If you look on youtube I think there are some bits and bobs on there about torch firing enamels on there which might be of use. It's very big in the US, I thought about giving it a go but ended up wimping out and getting a small kiln instead!

Vanessa
10-06-2014, 02:17 PM
I gave it a go the other day torch firing enamel on a small bit of silver. I've got a kiln but nowhere to put it at the moment where it is safe as it gets so hot...so I was impatient, I've got these enamel powders and thought I wonder what would happen if I torchfired some enamel after briefly reading somewhere about it. I love it. I have tonnes of ideas now ha ha.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk