PDA

View Full Version : Beads

Lucie
16-05-2014, 10:02 AM
Just wondering if anyone you shed some light.

I'm coring some beads and making grommets (like these):

http://www.palmermetals.co.uk/shop/sterling-silver-findings/sterling-silver-bead-grommets-1/sterling-silver-bead-grommet-5-0mm-with-925.html

George has already been very kind with advice and I have now got the hand of cutting my piece of tube and flaring it with my doming punches.
My only issue is that I'm not getting that nice "rounded" look that these grommets have. Mine look a bit unfinished.

Has anyone got any hints or tips? Thanks. x

mizgeorge
16-05-2014, 11:21 AM
Lucie, I'm so sorry - I was going to send you a little tutorial. I've been ridiculously busy and it just slipped my mind - apologies again.

If you want your cores to be rounded, you need to just tap the outer edges down gently after flaring - I usually use a rawhide mallet for this, but a gentle touch with a regular small hammer works too.

You can get conforming dies to do this job, but they tend to be specifically sized to a given size, and only really work with the (relatively expensive) coring systems.

Lucie
16-05-2014, 11:37 AM
Don't worry at all! Your advice has been fab & I figured you were busy :)
I've been tied up with my blasted website for weeks, but really need to get this sorted now.

Do you think the rawhide mallet would be best?
Which coring system to you like? I've looked at a few but a lot only seem to be available in the states.
I only need to core 5mm hole beads at the moment.

Dennis
16-05-2014, 12:57 PM
Once the edges have been turned back a certain distance, I wondered whether they could be finished in a doming block?

Lucie
16-05-2014, 01:16 PM
Thanks Dennis. That's a great idea. I'll dig mine out & give it a go. Now I've just got to find it!