PDA

View Full Version : Foredom portable micromotor

ps_bond
15-05-2014, 05:56 AM
As seen here (http://www.riogrande.com/Product/Foredom-Portable-Micro-Motor/117546).

So... What's the point? If I'm using a micromotor, it's because I want the precision out of it, so I'll need the bench and probably magnification too. About the only thing I can think of as a use for it would be polishing, in which case my Dremel is suitable. A bit more bulky and not rechargeable, but perfectly adequate for that use. IIRC, Dremel do a rechargeable that could be used for polishing.

Anyone think they have a need for something like this? How would you use it?

caroleallen
15-05-2014, 06:54 AM
I guess if I was still doing shows I may have found a use for it. It does look cute though!

ShinyLauren
15-05-2014, 08:16 AM
I saw this a couple of days ago. As Carole said, it is very cute but I couldn't think of a use for it.

Think I'll stick with saving up for a PUK welder...

mizgeorge
15-05-2014, 08:33 AM
I often teach at other studios, many of which have few or no tools, so I'd love one :)

ps_bond
15-05-2014, 08:37 AM
Would you need a cordless one though, or just a small-packing mains micromotor?
(and yes, it is cute - glad I'm not the only one thought that!)

mizgeorge
15-05-2014, 09:34 AM
The gadget fiend in me says yes. It's even got its own little carry case...

The sensible me says I'd never get one however cute it is.

(And then again, I'm having a big birthday next week)

Dennis
15-05-2014, 10:22 AM
I carry my full sized one to college once a week and to prove it one arm is an inch longer. This one looks appealing but the crunch is: does it have sufficient torque? If you can stop it by pressing too hard, as is often the case, it's a total waste of dollars.
Tools that don't work are bad for your health. Dennis.

mizgeorge
15-05-2014, 10:37 AM
My thoughts precisely Dennis - and I couldn't find any details on this.

LydiaNiz
15-05-2014, 11:10 AM
Hmm, it's an hour's walk to my studio, and I so often wish I could take mine home to do small jobs when I don't need to be fully in the studio. I covets it.
I do.

metalsmith
15-05-2014, 07:31 PM
It looks like a tidy piece of kit ... bit steep tho' isn't it?

Personally I like the micro drills that slow when you press - it's like having pressure-sensitive variable speed!