PDA

View Full Version : Enlarging silver bangle

Amanda
13-05-2014, 09:10 AM
Hi there. I recently made a silver bangle for a client based on a wrist measurement sent to me by her husband, as it was a surprise birthday present. I thought at the time that it seemed a bit small and asked him to recheck the size but, as I have never met them, I just had to trust his abilities. They have now returned the bangle asking me if I can add a piece of extra silver of about 2cm as it is slightly too small for her to get on comfortably. I am a bit anxious about doing it in case the soldered in piece weakens the bangle. It is oval in shape made from 4mm D wire, with the clasp at the front. Please can anyone suggest the best way to do this repair to keep the bangle as strong as possible - solder the new piece into the centre, nearer to one of the sides, use a wider piece of silver, stagger the soldered edges etc. I'm reluctant to renew the whole bangle, but will if it is the only way. Thank you

theresa
13-05-2014, 09:40 AM
If it were me....I would insert a piece at the back. When soldered correctly, the silver becomes bonded as one piece. There shouldn't be any weakness. I would suggest using the next grade solder down from what you used to attach the leaf & acorn.
Poor you, D is a bit of a pain to work with.
Lovely bracelet by the way.
Good luck
Theresa

medusa
13-05-2014, 02:22 PM
Nice bangle! and yeah, I'd add the silver to the part opposite the catch as well.

D wire is such a pain though. If it were me (which means this is probably not the right way to do it!) I'd cut straight down, straighten the wire out at the cut ends and put a right angle bend in the rest. then with all cut ends fluxed have them butting up tight and have some ceramic tiles butted up at the right angles so when it all heats up and expands, it gets pushed inwards.

As with most stuff I attempt, there is usually a better, more efficient and reliable way.

caroleallen
13-05-2014, 05:58 PM
If it was a normal bangle I'd suggest you just stretch it on a bangle stretcher but I think it would probably break it. I haven't got any useful suggestions. Just really wanted to say I love the bangle.

camalidesign
13-05-2014, 06:00 PM
Gorgeous bangle! Adding in a piece to the back has to be the way to go.

Carin

Dennis
13-05-2014, 08:15 PM
Cow of a problem, lovely bangle. Too good to botch up. If you can get another stone, then keep it for stock and start again. Alternatively replace the whole wire. Dennis.

Amanda
13-05-2014, 09:35 PM
Thank you everyone. Adding the piece in opposite the catch it is then! I'm fascinated with the idea of using ceramic tiles to add 'weight' to make the soldered part tighter, medusa. I used hard solder for the rest of it, Theresa, so will try medium and keep fingers crossed for a seamless finish. Thank you all for your kind compliments about the bangle too. I was pleased with the way it turned out, so am reluctant to take it all apart again as I worry that it won't look right afterwards!

Patstone
14-05-2014, 05:51 AM
I didnt see the stone in it so I was going to suggest plastering it with that blue gunk, heatproof paste. I am not sure what Medusa means about the ceramic tiles but I could do with it as I use a lot of James's clamps at the moment and sometimes try and use pliers to hold stuff tight but it doesnt always work, end up picking up the bit and it all falling apart!!!!!

Petal
14-05-2014, 07:43 AM
Cow of a problem, lovely bangle. Too good to botch up. If you can get another stone, then keep it for stock and start again. Alternatively replace the whole wire. Dennis.

I know you've already made your decision, but I agree with Dennis. I'd make another one and keep it for stock. Its so gorgeous I'm sure it will sell!

ShinyLauren
14-05-2014, 11:45 AM
Let us know if adding a piece works out. I love the bangle - it's beautiful.

medusa
14-05-2014, 01:26 PM
Dennis' idea is probably best actually (both suggestions) but what i meant with the tiles was that as the metal expands with heat, a gap can appear. James' clamps would be too small for this job I think, so what I do if I have something large is try and have it not wedged so much as contained to stop the gap appearing. Tiles work well but I have a very Heath Robinson-ish approach to my work.

Patstone
14-05-2014, 02:17 PM
yes so have I, and that includes my home as well, if its functional and it looks ok, fine by me

Goldsmith
14-05-2014, 02:59 PM
I don't make bangles, but here is a tip for holding a bangle shape while soldering, using some soldering clamps and a steel X piercing. My photos are just an idea of the method I would use as I would take more care keeping the edges straight if it were a job.

James

CJ57
14-05-2014, 04:40 PM
It's lovely and because of that I would make another if possible. I think it would probably be less stressful and maybeeven quicker

caroleallen
14-05-2014, 06:30 PM
That's clever James.

Patstone
14-05-2014, 07:16 PM
Is the "X" made with the titanium strips, it looks a handy bit of kit. May just have to make one of those too.

I don't make bangles, but here is a tip for holding a bangle shape while soldering, using some soldering clamps and a steel X piercing. My photos are just an idea of the method I would use as I would take more care keeping the edges straight if it were a job.

James

Dennis
14-05-2014, 08:56 PM
A while back I modified the crossed clip by adding a rivet as a kind of stiff hinge. This allowed me to grip the hoop first and then push the ends together. I hope James will see this as a sincere form of flattery Dennis.

Goldsmith
15-05-2014, 07:01 AM
Is the "X" made with the titanium strips, it looks a handy bit of kit. May just have to make one of those too.

Pat, that was a photo of some of my old stainless steel soldering clamps before I got into using titanium for clamps. I have a few of these X shaped pieces which were used for many supporting jobs when soldering or enamelling.
The titanium strips are much better than stainless steel and are available from Knew Concepts or in the UK from Tam Savill, see; http://tamizan.co.uk/knew-concept-saws/ ,if you buy a pack of strips to make your own clamp shapes, you can use one of the stock length strips as a support for holding these types of shape when soldering as the solders will not adhere to the titanium, made like my photo shows.
Or perhaps make one of Dennis's idea of the cross clamps.

James

Patstone
15-05-2014, 01:02 PM
I bought a load of titanium strips when you said about making clamps with it, so I have a few left. The clamps you posted a picture of back last year have been extremely useful, I use them a lot. You are right they are a lot stronger than the stainless ones (Mark 1!!!) . Never thought about making a flat one, very good idea especially as my soldering blocks are a bit uneven now. Thanks once again.

medusa
15-05-2014, 03:42 PM
Pat, that was a photo of some of my old stainless steel soldering clamps before I got into using titanium for clamps. I have a few of these X shaped pieces which were used for many supporting jobs when soldering or enamelling.
The titanium strips are much better than stainless steel and are available from Knew Concepts or in the UK from Tam Savill, see; http://tamizan.co.uk/knew-concept-saws/ ,if you buy a pack of strips to make your own clamp shapes, you can use one of the stock length strips as a support for holding these types of shape when soldering as the solders will not adhere to the titanium, made like my photo shows.
Or perhaps make one of Dennis's idea of the cross clamps.

James

Awesome! I can do that! I don't know why I didn't think of it before. Lack of lateral thinking I guess?

Amanda
15-05-2014, 04:58 PM
Thank a again All. I only make individual one-off pieces, and make a big deal about that, especially for commissions, so it wouldn't be fair to keep the existing bangle for stock and make another similar one. I like the look of that titanium cross clamp though... amazing how tools and solutions are as exciting as making, isn't it?