PDA

View Full Version : Rectangular brass wire

CJ57
09-05-2014, 04:46 PM
Does anyone know of a stockist for rectangular brass wire about the size of the cookies 3.2 x 1.6 ish silver wire? I want to texture it to texture silver sheet instead of having to waste the bit of silver I had:(

Dennis
09-05-2014, 04:59 PM
4D Model Shop have different sizes Caroline, if you click on 'please select'. Of course if you have a model shop near you they will have a sell out box too.

http://modelshop.co.uk/Shop/Item/Brass-strip-304mm/ITM3602. Dennis.

CJ57
09-05-2014, 05:24 PM
Thanks Dennis, I'd have to travel at least 17 miles to find a shop that is probably not there anymore so this looks perfect :)

Goldsmith
10-05-2014, 10:08 AM
Caroline, this company doesn't stock the brass strip exact size you want but is worth remembering the company if you want any other sizes or metals, this is their brass strips page;
https://ekpsupplies.com/materials-metals-/brass-materials/brass-flats/cat_119.html
And they also stock other metals, I get my silver steel rods from them which are great for making chasing punches and also for twisting wire for jumprings on.
See;https://ekpsupplies.com/materials-metals-/cat_5.html

James

CJ57
10-05-2014, 12:32 PM
Thanks James, that looks a good one to have handy too, I may have to revise my size as I probably can't get the equivelant in brass. It's interesting that they all use imperial sizing as wire is the only thing I now do in metric because it usually relates to drill sizes!
I was trained in BMG for sheet and still have to refer back to the table in the cookies catalogue to see what I'm buying although I've just about got it now. It's when jewellers on here mention metal guage which has usually been taken from a US chart that I get really confused. The 20 guage I've seen mentioned would be over 1.6mm in this country but it's actually much thinner in the US. We don't even seem to have a common language most of the time!

Goldsmith
10-05-2014, 01:01 PM
Thanks James, that looks a good one to have handy too, I may have to revise my size as I probably can't get the equivelant in brass. It's interesting that they all use imperial sizing as wire is the only thing I now do in metric because it usually relates to drill sizes!
I was trained in BMG for sheet and still have to refer back to the table in the cookies catalogue to see what I'm buying although I've just about got it now. It's when jewellers on here mention metal guage which has usually been taken from a US chart that I get really confused. The 20 guage I've seen mentioned would be over 1.6mm in this country but it's actually much thinner in the US. We don't even seem to have a common language most of the time!

I was also trained on BMG sizes Caroline, the lower the number the thinner the metal. The US metal gauge is the opposite, the lower the number the thicker the metal, I could never understand why. One of my employers were originally an offshute of Cartier and had been trained to make Cartier watches and boxes, so I had to learn the sizes of the French watchmakers gauge they used, it is called a douzieme gauge, later on I started using a micrometer and a vernier gauge.
James

CJ57
10-05-2014, 04:04 PM
I was never able to get the hang of understanding a micrometer, it just doesn't seem to compute with my brain. I then inherited 2 Starrett micrometers along with all his tools from a friend who had been a machinist and they sit in their boxes at the back of a drawer. The were probably quite expensive too