PDA

View Full Version : Death of an old friend...Photoshop CS...what now?

art925
07-05-2014, 04:39 PM
So, today the inevitable happened, my ever so faithful Photoshop CS (not even a legal version) of about 10 years has today opted to give up the ghost. I know Photoshop has moved on in the past few years, so rather than shell out 600 Euros on photoshop or rent for 60 Euros per month...which photo editing software do you use...and recommend?

Cheers
Les

mizgeorge
07-05-2014, 05:26 PM
You can actually still get (free) an unsupported copy of CS2 from adobe, or various other sites. As a piece of legacy software, they decided it was better to just give it away than deal with the huge number of pirated copies around.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/3689-adobe-photoshop-cs2.html

I moved up to a full cs6 on an educational licence (I have a school age child), but I can't say I find it a big improvement over CS2. I still prefer photoshop to anything else for editing.

art925
07-05-2014, 05:51 PM
CS2 George, sounds modern, is it in colour?
Thanks for the link, I will check it out.

Les

You can actually still get (free) an unsupported copy of CS2 from adobe, or various other sites. As a piece of legacy software, they decided it was better to just give it away than deal with the huge number of pirated copies around.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/3689-adobe-photoshop-cs2.html

I moved up to a full cs6 on an educational licence (I have a school age child), but I can't say I find it a big improvement over CS2. I still prefer photoshop to anything else for editing.

mizgeorge
07-05-2014, 05:56 PM
CS2 is less than 10 years old, and the only real difference is it doesn't have the poncy 'content aware' stuff now available. Which is completely unnecessary if you just need a great photo editing tool.

art925
07-05-2014, 05:59 PM
Well CS was brought out in 2003 so in tech terms it was ancient...

caroleallen
07-05-2014, 08:07 PM
I'm a bit stuck too. I have Photoshop on a DVD but unfortunately my new Mac laptop doesn't have a DVD player.

mizgeorge
07-05-2014, 09:56 PM
Same answer Carole. It's a downloadable version.

kymbi
07-05-2014, 11:05 PM
Thanks for that tip-off George about the downloadable Photoshop. When I changed PC's I couldn't find the details of my product key so never got around to reloading it, so it's good to see they have made it freeware and the link gives the product key needed to activate the installation. Installing on my PC as I type ;)

ShinyLauren
08-05-2014, 07:44 AM
I have Photoshop CS5, but do most of my photo editing using Lightroom (I think I have 4.2?).

I'm sure if I knew how to use Photoshop properly it would be marvellous, but I don't have time to learn and Lightroom is easy peasy!

MeadMoon
08-05-2014, 08:33 AM
I use (a paid for) Photoshop Elements and it does everything I need so never wanted the extra functionality in CS.

metalsmith
13-05-2014, 08:15 PM
try Paint.net - its very good and free. Gimp is also free and opensource, but a little less user friendly. Tho I do prefer PS.

Lucie
13-05-2014, 09:15 PM
Another fan of GIMP here. There's plenty of great YouTube tutorials to help along the way. The book that accompanies it gets good reviews but I didn't find the instructions were wonderful. Probably wouldn't have bothered if I'd seen it first.

medusa
14-05-2014, 01:18 PM
I use lightroom as well. or iPhoto (yes, really)

Nick martin
15-11-2014, 04:45 PM
Photoshop is essentially a beefed up version of Lightroom, whereas Lightroom is aimed more primarily at photographers who need a quick fix and quick enhancements.

I'm also a big fan of Photoshop, and I got some email the other day saying the you could get the latest version for something as cheap as only £10 p/month or thereabouts from the cloud which seemed quite good.

Nick