PDA

View Full Version : Scoring on wire?

medusa
25-04-2014, 06:51 PM
I bought some 5 x 1.7 silver wire and it has a deep scoring down one side of it. I've never had this before and it's proving a pain to file and polish out. Have I just been lucky in the past to get unblemished wire or did I get a rubbish batch?

Tabby66
25-04-2014, 07:30 PM
sounds like a rubbish batch Liz!! I wouldn't expect any scoring on purchased wire!!

CJ57
25-04-2014, 07:53 PM
I'd say a rubbish batch Liz, I've seen it on drawn wire if you're pulling it down from a large size and sometimes there is a line down the edge of cookies oval wire now that I think of it

susieq
25-04-2014, 09:03 PM
I bought some 6 x 1.2 reflections wire quite a while back and only opened it up recently. It too has quite a deep score line along the length of it, about 2mm in from the edge. If I hadn't cut two lengths off to make bangles I would have returned it. I can sympathise as it does take ages to file out, far longer than the depth of the score would suggest.

Susie

medusa
26-04-2014, 11:46 AM
ugh, I've also cut off a length as well so can't return it. didn't notice it until after cutting and then I hoped it was just superficial. Wish I hadn't bought so much of it now :( Will be sure to check in future.

pearlescence
26-04-2014, 12:08 PM
Of course you can return it. It's faulty. Even if you didn't have consumer law on your side any reputable company would replace or refund 'quicksmart' to protect their reputation

Tabby66
27-04-2014, 07:53 AM
I would have thought you could still return it too, as Pearlesence says, it is faulty.......also, I don't think that it's unreasonable that you tried to work with it and having done so and found it to be more of a problem than you expected, you wish to have it replaced.....adds to your case I would have thought!!

surfergirl
27-04-2014, 08:46 AM
Another one who you've got a duff batch, Liz. If there's no chance of returning it (though you should be able to) - anyway of incorporating the scoring into a 'purposeful' design?

medusa
27-04-2014, 01:03 PM
hmmm would cookies accept a return if I've used a ¼ of it? Maybe a partial return? Maybe someone from CS can chime in?

medusa
27-04-2014, 01:06 PM
Another one who you've got a duff batch, Liz. If there's no chance of returning it (though you should be able to) - anyway of incorporating the scoring into a 'purposeful' design?

it's on the inside in that the wire naturally curls into a circle. Although if the scoring were on the outside it would be easier to file and polish out or like you say I could incorporate a design into it. Thing is everybody wants super high polish and flat surfaces (which I think are boring, but hey ho…)

susieq
27-04-2014, 01:44 PM
it's on the inside in that the wire naturally curls into a circle. Although if the scoring were on the outside it would be easier to file and polish out or like you say I could incorporate a design into it.

I only noticed the line once I started to texture the outside of the metal with a hammer and got a strange straight line coming through the hammer marks. Ended up hammering binding wire over it to mask the straight line. Quite a nice effect though once blackened, but like Liz says, getting rid of the line on the inside took ages.

Rob Taylor
28-04-2014, 11:09 AM
Hi

Sorry you've had this problem, of course we'll deal with it. Please email/PM your account details and we'll get right on it.

rgds Rob

medusa
28-04-2014, 04:46 PM
cheers Rob, have PMed you :)