PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Deepest Darkest Dorset!

Cripple in Heels
24-04-2014, 08:44 AM
After 10 years of doing nothing following an almost fatal fight with an 18 ton truck, I came to smithing almost by chance. I visited Flux 'n' Flame Jewellery School, a local school run by Jesa & Al Marshall, during Dorset Arts Week & became a student in Jan 2013. I'm now a silver addict with a small workshop at home, have just sent off my first batch to be hallmarked & have a small website. That said, I have days when nothing goes right & I know that have so much to learn. Feel free to call me Mel or CiH. I hope my name doesn't offend but I embrace my disabilities, they are what I am not who I am, but part of me nonetheless.

ps_bond
24-04-2014, 08:51 AM
Hi Mel - I admit, I twitched when I saw the username; I've slopey-shouldered the responsibility of deciding how much it may offend people :)
Jesa & Al are great people, both excellent teachers and the facility they have is fantastic.

So what do you make?

CJ57
24-04-2014, 09:29 AM
Hi Mel from me. If you have a disability you can call it what you like and stuff what people think! You could have been crippled by heels like most women. Looking forward to seeing your work :)

Cripple in Heels
24-04-2014, 09:32 AM
I guess my use of the C word is a defence mechanism, but if it does offend of course I'd change it. Thank you Caroline ^_^

I'm solely making jewellery. Mainly just silver with some stone setting & antique spoon/sugar tong jewellery. Trying to get the get-up-&-go to set some of my stupidly large collection as I'm selling at two events locally over the Summer. Yes the Marshall's are wonderful, very encouraging & great teachers. I've also done an etching course & I now use a lot of it in my work.

How do I attach my website address to my profile/posts?

Thank you both for the welcome :)

Keia
24-04-2014, 09:51 AM
Welcome to the forum Mel. There's loads of wonderful people on here who are full of great advice, I'd be lost without this forum for sure!
Your name didn't offend - in fact I find it inspiring how you've managed to come through such an awful experience and have a good attitude about it. If anyone's offended - that's their problem ;) xx

Cripple in Heels
24-04-2014, 10:06 AM
Hi Keia & thank you. I have looked on here for information several times but only recently registered. I use books and videos, blogs, vlogs & Pinterest to find information, so I'm sure this forum will become indispensable to me very quickly. I grew up being told "There's no such thing as too much knowledge." & have lived by that so I'm part self-taught.
Re my disability - being bitter and angry is ok for a while, but letting it define you is the quickest way to being alone. So I slap on the lippy, a smile & heels (by necessity). If you can't laugh you're sunk.
Right, off to get my back tattoo finished.......... x

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ps_bond
24-04-2014, 10:08 AM
I guess my use of the C word is a defence mechanism, but if it does offend of course I'd change it.

Ach, I'm not bothered either way, personally. But I only speak for me :)

I'm solely making jewellery. Mainly just silver with some stone setting & antique spoon/sugar tong jewellery. Trying to get the get-up-&-go to set some of my stupidly large collection as I'm selling at two events locally over the Summer. Yes the Marshall's are wonderful, very encouraging & great teachers. I've also done an etching course & I now use a lot of it in my work.

Hmm, should I be doing the recruitment drive for the ACJ Wessex group? Nah, I'll leave you in peace on that one for now... :D

How do I attach my website address to my profile/posts?

If you edit your signature block, that should do it - although there's a block on posting URLs until new members have 5 posts to deter spammers. A bit.

ps_bond
24-04-2014, 10:09 AM
Thinking about it, I know a few men who have been temporarily crippled by heels too.
Some of them deserved it.

Cripple in Heels
24-04-2014, 10:17 AM
1. Good!
2. ACJ Wessex? I'll come back to you on that......
3. I'll try that & cross my fingers.
4. Heeheehee! Me too & Eddie Izzard is my role model 😄

Thanks so much again x

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ps_bond
24-04-2014, 10:42 AM
I'd been thinking more of being trodden on than wearing outsize heels.

ACJW - https://www.facebook.com/acjwessex
(Although I think you already found us!)

CJ57
24-04-2014, 10:43 AM
Thinking about it, I know a few men who have been temporarily crippled by heels too.
Some of them deserved it.
As soon as I said it I reckoned there would be some retort, are you speaking from experience too Peter?:)

ps_bond
24-04-2014, 10:45 AM
As soon as I said it I reckoned there would be some retort, are you speaking from experience too Peter?:)

By accident rather than by design in my case - so trodden on rather than stomped.
I've been told that the latter has a similar KE to a .38 round.

LydiaNiz
24-04-2014, 11:17 AM
Hello!
Look forward to seeing what you make. Glad you beat the truck, blimey.

memattaylor
24-04-2014, 12:29 PM
Hello from me too.

Welcome to the forum which as a fellow newbie I can confirm that everyone is really helpful and some of the old posts / tips / hints are excellent.

lorraineflee
24-04-2014, 12:57 PM
and welcome from me too!!!

mizgeorge
24-04-2014, 01:24 PM
And another welcome :)

ShinyLauren
24-04-2014, 01:33 PM
Hi Mel, welcome to the forum :)

medusa
24-04-2014, 02:07 PM
~waves hello~

(and biting my lip about Peter's accidental trampling experiences :p )

Rayne
24-04-2014, 03:17 PM
Hi Mel from another chain maille addict in Wiltshire :-)

camalidesign
24-04-2014, 03:52 PM
Hi Mel, and welcome! Look forward to seeing your work :)

Carin

caroleallen
24-04-2014, 04:13 PM
Hi Mel and welcome from me. I did a class with the Marshalls last year and had a fab time. We stayed in the lovely Milton Abbas pub which was a great experience.

Tabby66
24-04-2014, 08:51 PM
Hi Mel,
I look forwards to your 5th post and to you being able to post the link to your website,......finding silver was the salvation for my health!! Welcome to the forum, it's a great bunch of folk on here!!
xx

Cripple in Heels
25-04-2014, 07:42 AM
Wow, what a welcome! Thank you all so much, I'd been really I nervous about saying Hi to you all but now wish I'd popped up months ago! I'd used the forum surreptitiously & always found some piece of advice that helped me.

Now I'm nervous about you all seeing my work. Several of you are jewellers who I look up to, who inspire me & so to show you my trinkets & baubles.......... oh help!

Peter, I had a totally different image in my head when you said you'd been crippled by heels, but I'm gonna keep that version as it's a corker! :mwahaha:

Caroline, they are great aren't they? Flux 'n' Flame is only 15 minutes away from me so I count myself very lucky.

Tabby66, I look forward to getting to know you. Sounds like we both owe silver more than most.

Sorry, no idea how to insert quotes so that it is clear what I'm replying to. Thank you all again, I feel very welcome ��

Lucie
25-04-2014, 11:15 AM
Hi Mel. A belated "nice to meet you" from me :)
Lots of lovely people here to help maintain your sanity (or may be that's just me). x

Petal
25-04-2014, 01:59 PM
Another belated welcome from me too Mel. Don't worry about showing us pics of your work; its just to get a feel of what inspires you, what metals you like working with, rather than a critique of how you make things. :) We are fortunate that we have many members here who have been working in the business for many years and some who have recently started, but they all offer help, inspiration, advice and lots of tips.

Cripple in Heels
25-04-2014, 03:54 PM
Another belated welcome from me too Mel. Don't worry about showing us pics of your work; its just to get a feel of what inspires you, what metals you like working with, rather than a critique of how you make things. :) We are fortunate that we have many members here who have been working in the business for many years and some who have recently started, but they all offer help, inspiration, advice and lots of tips.

Mel @ www.onusilver.co.uk

Cripple in Heels
25-04-2014, 03:56 PM
Thank you Lucie & Petal. Having dipped into the forum seeking answers I've seen how open people are about sharing knowledge along with some obvious friendships. I find it inspiring and heart warming to find that jewellers are so selfless in that way. I will share my work, I just get really nervous, same as when I give a client their piece, I'm waiting for them to say "that's crap! Stop making jewellery immediately!" Lol

Cripple in Heels
25-04-2014, 03:57 PM
Oops, not got the hang of this inserting text yet!

Tabby66
25-04-2014, 07:15 PM
I just get really nervous, same as when I give a client their piece, I'm waiting for them to say "that's crap! Stop making jewellery immediately!" Lol

That never changes Mel......I expect them to say, eerrrm, that's not what I expected, that isn't how you described it, if only it was......To a point when you get return custom, my immediate thought is, oh,no,...what's gone wrong with the piece they'd already purchased.....talking to others, including some who've been in the business for years, that moment of hand-over (particularly of a commissioned piece), is always one for nerves!!

Tabby66
25-04-2014, 07:22 PM
Just taken a look at your website Mel :D

Where does the name ONUsilver come from?? I love your work, especially the etched pieces, that peacock feather is particularly nice!!

Tabby xx

Cripple in Heels
25-04-2014, 09:56 PM
Hi Tabby

Onu (pronounced OH-noo) is our daughters nick name. Her name is Iona but our then 23mth old son couldn't say it & exclaimed "Onu!' when he first saw her! They are now 16 & 14 and she is still called Onu 😊. I wanted a name that brought both of them into it and as she is already showing a keen interest, turning up in my workroom & asking if she can help, I thought it appropriate so ONU Silver Design was born.

Thank you for your kind words about my work. I love doing the etched pieces & spend up to 4 days doodling/zentangling designs to be etched onto sheet then cut. Earrings are waiting to be photographed too. The peacock feather should have a price on it as it is for sale, tho being assayed atm. Love them, have a tattoo of one wrapped around my forearm & wrist.

Sorry, long answer!

Mx

camalidesign
26-04-2014, 10:31 AM
Lovely jewellery Mel, you have nothing to be worried about! :) And this is the perfect place to move on and learn new stuff too. I have only just registered but was on another forum before where a lot of the peeps here were on too. Great community and you are right, people are very generous with advice and encouragement!

Carin

Cripple in Heels
26-04-2014, 07:34 PM
That is so kind of you to say Carin, thank you. I can't believe how much I've learned already just from looking on here. I feel honoured to be allowed to 'join a club' that has jewellers such as yourself in it as I've seen your work and love it, I've hinted heavily to my hubby about my deep need for one of your cowparsley cuffs. He's normally quite good at following hints/orders 😉

Mel

camalidesign
26-04-2014, 08:39 PM
Thanks Mel! :) Well, if you point him in my directiion and tell him to say he is Mel's hubby then I'm sure we can sort out a little discount! :)

Carin

Cripple in Heels
26-04-2014, 09:25 PM
You're a star! Xxx

Mel

Patstone
27-04-2014, 05:17 AM
Hi Mel, like Peter my first thought was OMG fancy calling herself that, but one of my best friends is disabled too, she was in a Land Rover serving in the Army and it skid off the road and down an embankment and her leg bent the wrong way from the knee when she ended up in the passenger footwell, obviously did untold damage to her hip as well as her knee, so she is plated just about all down one side, and in callipers. As for me, well I lost an eye in a cataract operation that went wrong about 4 years ago, and decided in an act of bravado just after that I could do jewellery and it doesnt matter how small the stones are!!!!! Well the smallest stones I have set was a 1mm diamond in the end of a 1.50mm wire (six times) although one since has fallen out, so I have to do that one again, the ring was for me anyway and I love it because its the knowledge that if you put your mind to it you can do anything just about. Keep up your fighting spirit, and go for it girl.

Cripple in Heels
27-04-2014, 07:49 AM
Hi Pat (?)
What an awful accident, that's terrible. Like her I have my share of nuts, bolts & plates. The truck was a fixed-bed rig, so not articulated & I was under the front near side wheel with the engine turned off. I've lost most of the quad muscles in my left leg so basically the front & outside of my thigh, my left glutes are shot to **** & my pelvis was crushed & parts of my vertebrae snapped off. So 24 operations on I walk with a crutch/es and use a wheelchair for long days out. That said, I can't sit for long, so I often find my time at the bench curtailed just when something is going right! I never thought that keeping fit by cycling to yoga could be so bad for ones health, but that's London for you. I can't wear footwear without a heel (foot drop due to hospital negligence while suffering from MRSA) so I strap on 5" heels, lippy and a smile. Then you have also had a traumatic experience while in Doctor's care. I can't imagine even finding a 1mm stone on my bench, never mind setting it! That's way beyond my skills. It's amazing how bloody minded one becomes when told we shouldn't be able to do something isn't it? Stay stubborn, you've much to be proud of x

Mel

Tabby66
27-04-2014, 08:14 AM
Hi Tabby

Onu (pronounced OH-noo) is our daughters nick name. Her name is Iona but our then 23mth old son couldn't say it & exclaimed "Onu!' when he first saw her! They are now 16 & 14 and she is still called Onu ��. I wanted a name that brought both of them into it and as she is already showing a keen interest, turning up in my workroom & asking if she can help, I thought it appropriate so ONU Silver Design was born.

I love it Mel and so nice that your daughter is interested too :D

Patstone
27-04-2014, 08:18 AM
6037Wow thats a bit of a conversation stopper. Not showing off of course, but this is the ring I was talking about, yes hell I am showing off !!!!!

surfergirl
27-04-2014, 08:40 AM
Welcome, Mel! :D You certainly are a get on with it kinda gal - so positive :X You username didn't offend me at all - I've found everyone here so friendly and welcoming - great to have you on board :)

Cripple in Heels
27-04-2014, 08:53 AM
Pat

And so you should show it off, it is a darling ring! I wouldn't know where to start, so I am very, very impressed.

Mel

Cripple in Heels
27-04-2014, 09:01 AM
Hi Surfergirl. Thank you for the welcome. The number of people who have welcomed me has had me feeling quite touched (rather than a bit touched, my usual MO!). I'm chuffed to be a member of such a community of talent. Believe me I have my negative days, but I keep them to myself. There's enough crap out there for people to deal with without me adding to it! Thanks again x

Mel

MeadMoon
27-04-2014, 09:41 AM
Hi Mel, A rather belated Welcome from me. I love your etched designs!

Nyc
27-04-2014, 07:28 PM
And a big hello from over the ridgeway in Weymouth.

Cripple in Heels
27-04-2014, 10:28 PM
Hi Mel, A rather belated Welcome from me. I love your etched designs!

Hi and thank you Elaine's. I love etching, from drawing tiny flowers or skulls to the reveal as the bicarbonate solution washes off and I wait for my heart to soar or plummet! I once toyed with the idea of doing some chainemaille but thought that it looked like an expensive outlay. One of my favourite necklaces is a Byzantine chain.

Mel

Cripple in Heels
27-04-2014, 10:30 PM
Hello NYC. Always good to 'meet' a local :)

Mel

Ebo Von Gaz
01-05-2014, 09:00 AM
Hi Mel from me in the Welsh borders, I'm a self taught newbie type too. Love your etching :)

Cripple in Heels
01-05-2014, 10:16 AM
Thanks Ebo Von Gaz ☺️

Mel

SteveLAO
01-05-2014, 10:19 AM
Hello and welcome from a dark and rainy London.....You could even say deepest darkest London today!!!

Cripple in Heels
01-05-2014, 11:15 PM
Hello and welcome from a dark and rainy London.....You could even say deepest darkest London today!!!

Not as dark as Dorset tho Steve, but then it is 00.14! Thank you for the welcome, much appreciated 😊

Mel