PDA

View Full Version : Men's jewellery

caroleallen
19-04-2014, 09:33 AM
I've had a review by someone asking why I don't do more men's jewellery. The main reason is that I don't know what jewellery men wear and my stuff is all a bit girly. I do a couple of rings and some cufflinks which sell well but I'd like to extend my range.

The question is, what sorts of jewellery to men like? I was thinking maybe about bangles and belt buckles.

Dennis
19-04-2014, 11:08 AM
I don't wear any, but that's being my age. Looking around, especially in the men's department of the big stores, here is my list:

Ears
One hoop, or a single stud with CZ, or diamond.

Neck
Plain chains, thin-usually gold, or heavy-often silver.

Wrist
Heavy chain bracelet.

Finger
Signet ring, plain-shank thumb ring, or ring with skull and other 'masculine' images.

Tie pins and clips, cuff links. Dennis.

mizgeorge
19-04-2014, 11:36 AM
The youth market for jewellery is huge - with beads featuring heavily, especially the surfer styled stuff. Tend to be in more masculine colours, but other than that, very similar to that which the girls are wearing.

Leather and waxed cotton based pieces seem to be particularly popular at the moment, especially finished with sterling.

Cufflinks are very much back in vogue - even for teens. The quirkier the better!

Anna Wales
19-04-2014, 06:51 PM
One of the big differences since I returned to jewellery full time is the number of men who now wear jewellery. Rings are my best sellers. They are the heavy silver Celtic pattern bands with some of the sizes being huge!Lots of thumb rings too. Some finger sizes now are so much bigger than in the 80's both women and men. Also pendants again Celtic sell well. As George says it seems to be more surfer type things wrist wise and also the charity bands. Cufflinks are also popular.

Goldsmith
19-04-2014, 08:58 PM
This was the last ring I made for a man, he was actually a vicar, 18ct gold set with a square Swiss blue Topaz.

James

caroleallen
19-04-2014, 09:58 PM
Thanks for all the help.

Patstone
20-04-2014, 05:34 AM
Just out of interest, did you cast it? If not, how would you get such a thick bit where the stone goes, or is it hollow in front. So many questions...

This was the last ring I made for a man, he was actually a vicar, 18ct gold set with a square Swiss blue Topaz.

James

Goldsmith
20-04-2014, 07:47 AM
Just out of interest, did you cast it? If not, how would you get such a thick bit where the stone goes, or is it hollow in front. So many questions...

Pat, this ring was solid and made by casting after I had carved the shape I wanted in wax. I used Ferris green wax which is quite hard and can be easily filed and carved to shape. The photo is of the wax ring shape I carved.

James

caroleallen
20-04-2014, 08:06 AM
Do many men wear signet rings these days?

Goldsmith
20-04-2014, 08:35 AM
I have a couple of signet rings, but I only wear one at a time, usually only when I get suited up.

James

ps_bond
20-04-2014, 07:05 PM
I'm currently banned from making & wearing stone-set signet rings and chunky chain bracelets; I'd probably be allowed a plain signet ring, but if I can't set it, I'm less interested.
Cufflinks are OK.
Heavy necklace/necklet chains I've seen worn effectively, usually the surfing/diving brigade.
Celtic & tribal designs seem to be quite popular, as do some of the Chinese glyphs (probably best to steer clear unless a) you can paint them and b) you're sure it isn't a menu item)

Delicate isn't going to cut it; a semi-industrial look probably works better.

Now, if I only had the time to make some cufflinks for myself... Working on some mokume gane ones at the moment.

medusa
20-04-2014, 09:00 PM
As well s cufflinks, I think there is a bit of a future (albeit a niche one) in watch chains and all the doodads that are attached to it.

medusa
20-04-2014, 09:03 PM
[QUOTE=ps_bond;65381
Celtic & tribal designs seem to be quite popular, as do some of the Chinese glyphs (probably best to steer clear unless a) you can paint them and b) you're sure it isn't a menu item)
.[/QUOTE]
aren't the celtic /ribal stuff a bit old hat now? just going by the fashion in tattoos etc...

Tabby66
21-04-2014, 07:32 AM
I find cufflinks go well, thumb and chunky rings (mainly bands), seem popular as do tie pins and slides, also lapel type pins which can be pinned on jackets/caps, etc,....

Nick martin
21-04-2014, 07:33 AM
Cuff links are big and I've got a few dozen of them myself. I enjoy wearing them with a smart shirt for meals out etc.

Other than that I'd say industrial / mechanical style pendants although I don't wear any myself.

Good question mind you Carole.

Nick

LydiaNiz
21-04-2014, 11:30 AM
I love making heavy rings for men. Was talking about this to the husband. I have made him several rings over the years, all of which he has lost, so he's wondering about a bracelet or neck 'thing' of some kind. I mostly get ring requests, the occassional cufflink one, and some for heavy chain bracelets. The most recent I made I was pleased the chap went from 3.5mm wire hammered links(ohhhhh my fingers) to 2.5 (slightly less ohhhhhh!)

caroleallen
21-04-2014, 12:56 PM
That's really useful feedback. The two men in my life wouldn't be seen dead in jewellery - well my son wears cufflinks occasionally.

Ebo Von Gaz
01-05-2014, 07:20 PM
Guys jewellery- thinking about the stuff the guys I know wear it's chunky Celtic bands, chunky silver, flames and tribal still work for a lot of people, bit Goa hippy for me. Surgical steel piercngs. Flesh tunnel/plugs, spirals and spiral based themes, neon and dayglo piercings, bars and studs. Heavy curb and snake chains. Not so much stone set stuff and not so much gold.

Sandra
01-05-2014, 07:35 PM
My husband loves unique cufflinks and also wears a silver celtic ring he bought for himself lately. He would probably love a fancy detailed & engraved pocket watch on a chain. In fact now that I'm thinking about it, it would probably be a lovely Christmas present idea for him.