PDA

View Full Version : Square gems - Small

Nick martin
15-04-2014, 07:58 PM
Hi all,

Have been asked to make a ring with a square Aquamarine stone in it, but only a small discreet one.

My customer doesn't like flush set, so whats the options bearing in mind she wants it no bigger than 5x5mm!

To my mind its too small and fiddly for a bezel, so the only other choice is a claw setting right?

Nick

camalidesign
15-04-2014, 08:04 PM
Having never set a square 5mm stone before I could be talking twaddle, but I would have thought it would be OK to use a bezel? I think that's what I would do. Just need to use sheet that isn't too thick and make a ledge to fit inside, or use thick-ish sheet and handcut your seat?

Would love to see pics of it when finished! :)

Carin

ps_bond
15-04-2014, 08:17 PM
Bezel, claw, grain... Variations on the theme - collet, collet with claws, collet with chenier separating the upper & lower sections...

Dennis
15-04-2014, 09:24 PM
Hi Nick,

If you want a quick fix, I still have some 5.9mm square sterling tubing, from the late lamented Blundells.
All you have to do is find a stone that just resists falling through, cut a bearer on the inside with a burr, bevel the outside and rub over. No doubt you will relieve the corners as they are very fragile :-).
You could also cut some scallops in the long edges so that you are left to rub over only at the corners, giving an easy claw effect.

If you are interested, PM me. Dennis.

Nick martin
16-04-2014, 10:42 AM
Cheers Dennis, and pm sent.

Nick

Nick martin
16-04-2014, 10:43 AM
And.. Thanks Carin. You're right, although the smaller you get with a bezel the trickier it is. I'll have to remember to post a pic once I'm done.

Nick

PeppermintPurple
08-07-2014, 02:27 PM
And.. Thanks Carin. You're right, although the smaller you get with a bezel the trickier it is. I'll have to remember to post a pic once I'm done.

Nick

Hi - sorry if intruding, new to the forum (and silver jewellery in general) but could you not use the Sterling-Silver-Square-Bezel-Cup---4mm-Pack-of-6-Cookson code NVJ-536X

Dennis
08-07-2014, 06:21 PM
Hi PP, welcome to the forum. Questions can be ambiguous or even misleading, but the clue is in the words 'flush set', which implies that the stone is faceted and has a culet.

While with some ingenuity NVJ-536X could be adapted for this, it is really for cabochons and offers no advantages over a piece of square tubing.

I hope you will enjoy it here and not be put off by old grumps like me:reindeer: Dennis.