PDA

View Full Version : Hello

silver70
13-04-2014, 04:05 PM
Hello,

I joined here a while back but then didn't have the time to pursue silversmithing so stopped. I have now enrolled on a course that starts soon but want to get some basic practice in before it starts. No idea where to start though.

I have lots of books but not sure what the best order is to really start to hone some basic skills. Any exercises or basic pieces you would make to start practicing some basic skills? I need some direction I think!

Thanks.

Dennis
13-04-2014, 06:45 PM
When I went on my first course, these are the basics I was taught:

Making a ring--fitting posts for ear studs-- hanging a pendant-- fitting brooch findings, making the pin from wire and riveting it on. This allowed me to start developing my own designs.
I am very much like an old cracked record, because at this point I usually say: get a book of projects for beginners, for example, TWO IN ONE MANUALS JEWELLERY by Madeline Coles.

It is inexpensive, simply written, full of projects and tells you everything you need to know to start you off. Welcome to the forum, Dennis.

silver70
13-04-2014, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the reply. Lots of useful advice there! I have ordered the book and will have a look on the internet for some guidance for the other techniques. Thanks.

Tabby66
13-04-2014, 08:29 PM
To start with, I would just saw and file some shapes, whatever you fancy, draw the shape with a scribe, saw on or slightly outside the line and file to tidy up, sounds boring, but do a variety of shapes, the practice will be invaluable to your future work and designs!!

silver70
13-04-2014, 09:33 PM
Thanks tabby! I will try that.