PDA

View Full Version : White / Satin finish cleaning

mari eluned
11-04-2014, 10:33 AM
Hello,

I'm depletion gilding silver sheet, I am either going to keep the pieces as a white finish or I will use a scotchbrite pad very finely over the silver to create a satin finish. I am just wondering how would you clean the pieces in the future. This will be a crown that will be presented to a winner of a completion. Any tips on how to look after the finish, or on creating satin / white finish will be great! Thank you in advance
Mari

Dennis
11-04-2014, 02:03 PM
Various abrasives will give the finish you want, Mari. You have already mentioned Scotchbrite pads. There are also rotary Scotchbrite wheels, or frosting wheels, or the coarser (yellow) radial disks for your motor.

Other ways would be wire wool or scouring powder applied by hand. Also abrasive sponge pads, sold in paint shops. If you want this finish on your back sheet only, it has to be applied before adding the decorations.

One finish , not often mentioned is to heat and pickle for about five minutes in hot alum solution. This gives a white bloom, which is quite attractive, but not so permanent.

Goddards Silver Dip from the supermarket will maintain it easily. Brush on with a broad soft paint brush, which still fits the jar. After ten to fifteen seconds, rinse and dry. Dennis.