PDA

View Full Version : Off on another mission...

agent_44
26-08-2009, 09:19 AM
Who's my next target? Most likely the Clotted Cream Teas and Cornish Pasties! :D

I'm off to St Ives for an extended Bank Hol weekend away, as it's my birthday tomorrow, and I'm making the OH do something with me. Luckily he seems quite keen. He's getting me a bench for my birthday, wonder if he will wrap it and bring it along :confused:

TTFN :~:

Trudy
26-08-2009, 09:28 AM
Hope you have a lovely time!

we were down in Devon last week and had both pasties and cream teas, they were yummy!!

Happy Birthday for tomorrow!! :flowers: xx

Di Sandland
26-08-2009, 09:38 AM
{iii}:))):flowers::)))

MuranoSilver
26-08-2009, 09:56 AM
Yayyyyy happy Birthday!
nic x

bustagasket
26-08-2009, 10:00 AM
:flowers::juggle:A very hapy birthday for tomorrow hun, and what a wonderful pressie!!!

Hope you have an excellent time, but please do hurry back :D[[]]

agent_44
26-08-2009, 12:11 PM
Aw, thank you guys :D

lesley
26-08-2009, 12:44 PM
Have a great birthday.:D

What a dilemma though - is it jam or cream first on the delicious scones?:)

Di Sandland
26-08-2009, 12:51 PM
Ah depends - in devon its jam first. It means you can get more cream on. The silly Cornish do it the other way around.

caroleallen
26-08-2009, 12:55 PM
Ah depends - in devon its jam first. It means you can get more cream on. The silly Cornish do it the other way around.

Oh no we don't! The Cornish invented cream teas [-X

Have a lovely birthday and if you want to see some lovely jewellery go to Trelyon Gallery in Fore Street. There's lots of really quality stuff in there. My stuff is in the cabinet on the right as you go in.

Di Sandland
26-08-2009, 12:56 PM
And the Devonians invented the pastie!

agent_44
26-08-2009, 12:57 PM
Ooh OK, will be sure to take a peek! Thanks Carole :)

As for cream teas I think I have always gone jam first!

mizgeorge
26-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Jam first!
(but then I've been known to sneak a bit of butter on even before that.....)
Oink

Di Sandland
26-08-2009, 01:01 PM
Jam first!
(but then I've been known to sneak a bit of butter on even before that.....)
Oink

OH, George, I've heard it all now! Even I don't do that and I can oink with the best of em

The Bijou Dragon
26-08-2009, 02:41 PM
YAY Happy Birthday...

... hang on... she's scoping out St Ives for when I move there... I know too much obviously... Nic, watch out she's onto us :rofl:

The Dragon
26-08-2009, 04:54 PM
Happy Birthday

{iii}

I hope you have lovely time down there. I suppose you could try both ways just to see which tastes better, although it may need a lot of testing lol

:flowers:

kymbi
27-08-2009, 07:03 AM
Happy Birthday!

Have a great time in Cornwall and have an extra scone for me - I prefer the jam first, but as long as it's laden with cream I'm not fussy :D

agent_44
01-09-2009, 01:16 AM
I'm back and whilst away, a couple of cream tea related experiments (for scientific purposes only you understand) proved anything other than jam first is silly; have you ever tried spreading jam on to a pile of cream?!

Thanks for the birthday messages, had a lovely time, apart from a bit of awful weather, camping in gales is kind of fun, but you don't get much sleep!

I was completely oblivious to the fact St Ives has a big art heritage, and the amount of galleries including jewellery there was astounding (I'm sure this is only news to me). Had a great time dragging the OH around looking at shiny things, including Carole Allens jewellery, and I have to say her enamel flowers look lovely in picture and GORGEOUS in real life!

Bijou Dragon, living down there will be bliss, it's such a beautiful place, I forget how much I love Cornwall! I couldn't leave where I am right now, I have too much going on up here, but it took the OH and I about 30 minutes in St Ives to decide we could quite happily retire there! Though, that's a long way off!

AlexandraBuckle
01-09-2009, 09:19 AM
Welcome back! Sounds like you had a lovely time :)

mizgeorge
01-09-2009, 10:39 AM
Glad you had a lovely time - and hope it was a lovely birthday too :)

The Bijou Dragon
01-09-2009, 11:34 AM
Bijou Dragon, living down there will be bliss, it's such a beautiful place, I forget how much I love Cornwall! I couldn't leave where I am right now, I have too much going on up here, but it took the OH and I about 30 minutes in St Ives to decide we could quite happily retire there! Though, that's a long way off!

Glad you had a lovely time hun, it is pretty amazing down there I have to say. I used to spend hours watching a painter work in his studio in St Ives, there was a little group of them just up by the arcade (if that's still there), Steve Fox (http://www.cbw.i12.com/stevefox/) was his name... absolutely spell bound watching his paintings come together!

Spent hours in the Tate Modern and like you in all the other little galleries, studios and museums! It's one of the reasons I especially love the place because it is full of artists and artistic people of varying degrees and mediums!

... and that's quite aside from it's astounding beauty :)

There's art all over the place down there, went to see a display from the old Newlyn School of art while I was down there last time... I'm not really one for old paintings to be honest but the skill and beauty of these were astounding...

I can't wait to get arty down there :)

caroleallen
01-09-2009, 01:01 PM
Thanks for your very kind comments. I agree that I could live in St Ives but not in the summer when you can't get your car anywhere near your house!
It is the arts and crafts capital of Cornwall (and probably the country). Bath is lovely too and there's probably much more going on there than in Cornwall.

EmmaRose
02-09-2009, 02:48 PM
hmmmm cream tea (drools) def jam first!
Happy Birthday, hope you had a great time!
{iii}
Em

Ominicci
03-09-2009, 11:01 AM
Yep Jam first and (like George) I have to have butter under that!! But I would prefer scones with just butter and no jam or cream but you have to join in don't you...

Carole!!! I obviously didn't look long enough in the Trelyon window to see your work :'( I was concious that dear OH was already struggling with the amount of people around - not that he has a medical condition - he just hates people!!! And he wanted to get to the harbour asap for an ice cream lol. We were scouting out galleries for my stained glass work, as there seemed to be a surplus of beautiful jewellery so I didn't even want to attempt that angle. Wasn't happy about that shop that imports everything (no hallmarks on anything) even thought it's called St Ives Silver [-X I wanted to stand outside and tell people not to buy anything as it wasn't made in St Ives let alone UK!

EmmaRose
03-09-2009, 01:39 PM
has to be clotted cream. I like the butter too (oh dear LOL).
I hate those imported places.
Em

The Bijou Dragon
03-09-2009, 02:29 PM
We're getting in the mood tonight as I've sent out OH to buy some scones, clotted cream and jam lol

Has to be cream first though as that replaces the butter and then jam... makes sense to me!

Was going to make the scones but injured my back badly this morning so it's Sainsbury's Finest instead :(

EmmaRose
03-09-2009, 02:36 PM
Oh sorry to hear that! Hope the scones will make you feel a bit better....if not send 'em my way :D
Em:~:

Di Sandland
03-09-2009, 03:10 PM
Wishing you better Nic - clotted cream will help, I'm sure. Always works for me (unless I eat too much and make myself ill...)

CyberPaddy66
04-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Not only for tea last night but we had scones for lunch today as well... YUMMY!

The Bijou Dragon
04-09-2009, 03:54 PM
I declare them as a cure for a bad back... either that or the wine we had with dinner lol

My back is feeling much better now thankfully :D