PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Pendant Motor Accessories.

Lucie
27-03-2014, 06:39 PM
Hi all.

I'm just about to order a whole bunch of pendant motor accessories - the same old abrasives and mops I always order and I was wondering ....... Does anyone have any "favorite" accessories?
ie: Things they find really useful or bits they use all the time / couldn't live without.

Just about everything I make is cast and I clean everything up from really rough to a mirror finish with my pendant motor and big old polishing motor. I'm always looking for new thing-me-bobs to make the process slightly less painful.
So, has anyone got any suggestions? Thanks. x

Wallace
27-03-2014, 07:13 PM
I love those silicone abrasive wheels / buds (usually black, green and blue). Oh, and Moores sanding discs (clip on variety). I use the coarse discs on any delft casting and then go through to the finer sand. I like the texture they leave

medusa
27-03-2014, 07:26 PM
the larger 3m radial disks in brown, green and yellow. fab for castings.

Lucie
27-03-2014, 07:47 PM
Thanks guys - looks like my list is going to get quite a bit longer :)

Wallace- Are these the right Moores sanding discs? http://www.suttontools.co.uk/moore-s-plastic-discs.html

Liz - I usually use the 25mm radial discs & I've never seen brown ones. Where can I find these little treasures? :)

ps_bond
27-03-2014, 07:56 PM
I use silicone abrasives a lot in all shapes - different range though, so the colours are different. I find I use the radial disks less than I used to, but they're still very useful.
Other than that... Cutting discs, diamond wheels (the finer, more expensive ones), diamond-impregnated rubber disks (fantastic for shaping & sharpening gravers), burrs of all sorts, sanding mandrels and so on and so on.

Lucie
27-03-2014, 08:21 PM
I use a lot of drum sanders; roll sanders (despite the fact that I find them really irritating) for rough castings and radial discs for the finer finishing.

What silicone abrasives and sanding mandrels do you prefer?

LydiaNiz
27-03-2014, 10:11 PM
roll sanders and the pointy silicone abrasives in all grades for getting into nooks and crannies.

caroleallen
27-03-2014, 11:45 PM
I love my roll sanders and have recently discovered these purple abrasive drums which are great for removing a lot of metal like sprues etc. http://www.woodworkscraftsupplies.co.uk/index.php?cPath=94_101_148

ps_bond
28-03-2014, 06:25 AM
What silicone abrasives and sanding mandrels do you prefer?

It's the Eve range of unmounted ones I use - I got so fed up of trying to remember which colour was which grade from which manufacturer that I decided to stick with one brand. I use a coarse diamond sharpener (a cheap one) to reshape them as needed.

Sanding mandrels - the bog-standard parallel ones, but I tend to cut the shanks down so they sit close to the chuck; I've had cheaper ones fail due to unbalanced rotation, whereupon they turn into propellers...

Oh, one other wheel I use is a Hitzlos or Mizzy wheel - aggressive little things, the Mizzy are touted as "heatless"; they're not, but they cut quickly so don't build up as much heat.

I keep meaning to get some pin polishers and a carbide burnisher, but haven't quite got around to it.

Lucie
28-03-2014, 09:45 AM
Carole - That's exactly what I use my drum sanders for. Fabulous for removing sprues. Although I've been getting mine here:
https://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/tools/drum-sanders-roll-sanders-mounted/wheels-drum-sander-arbors-and-abrasive-bands#select

Peter - Thanks for the heads up on the silicone abrasives - have been getting a little baffled by the different colours.
Sanding mandrels - That's exactly why they bug me :mad:

I'll take a look at the Mizzy wheels & pin polishers.

This lot should keep me busy for a while. Thanks everyone :)

medusa
28-03-2014, 10:14 AM
Lucie, I got mine as a huge lot sent over from the states by a friend about three years ago. Can't recall the company now but they were about 25p each. However international shipping was only for orders over £300 and was high, hence my friend sending over. Otto Frei do them though. Can't recall price but their shipping is fast and not expensive.

Good tip on sticking with one company for abraisives. I end up going through trial and error to pick the right one.

Barrel sander users, how do you stop them flying off?

Lucie
28-03-2014, 10:26 AM
Thanks Liz - I had considered Otto Frei. I don't mind international shipping per se, but have been REALLY stung a few times with import taxes. UPS turned up and insisted I hand over a rather large cheque before I could have my lovely tools :(

Barrel sanders have their own special mandrel arbours (either 9.5mm or 12mm) - never had a problem with one flying off yet lol.
They whip through rough castings and large amounts of metal no problem and save me soooo much time.
https://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/tools/drum-sanders-roll-sanders-mounted/wheels-drum-sander-arbors-and-abrasive-bands#select

Now I have my lovely list of bits to order, I'm off to trawl through old posts to help me decide on a decent torch & saw (groan). x

ps_bond
28-03-2014, 10:39 AM
Good tip on sticking with one company for abraisives. I end up going through trial and error to pick the right one.

Life's too short... I have an assortment still from all sorts, dating from reading tutorials that said you should use THIS one true brand; source the thing and find it's pretty much the same as the more readily available ones. Cratex, for example.

I should have an Otto Frei order show imminently - it was in transit for 3 days, then sat in customs for a week... Not much point paying for ultra-fast delivery when the major delay is state employees.
VAT + a small amount of duty + Parcel Farce extortion fee paid online yesterday, as soon as they deigned to notify me.

Lucie
28-03-2014, 10:58 AM
Lat time I ordered £60 worth of bits, I got stung for over £35 duty (grrrr). By the time I paid delivery, it wasn't exactly cheap anymore :(

medusa
28-03-2014, 11:00 AM
Thanks Liz - I had considered Otto Frei. I don't mind international shipping per se, but have been REALLY stung a few times with import taxes. UPS turned up and insisted I hand over a rather large cheque before I could have my lovely tools :(

Barrel sanders have their own special mandrel arbours (either 9.5mm or 12mm) - never had a problem with one flying off yet lol.
They whip through rough castings and large amounts of metal no problem and save me soooo much time.

Now I have my lovely list of bits to order, I'm off to trawl through old posts to help me decide on a decent torch & saw (groan). x

I got some with my foredom, but… Maybe I'm putting them on the wrong way round?

I bought Jill's Knew concept saw off her. Love it. won't fit in the foredom though.

Life's too short... I have an assortment still from all sorts, dating from reading tutorials that said you should use THIS one true brand; source the thing and find it's pretty much the same as the more readily available ones. Cratex, for example.

I should have an Otto Frei order show imminently - it was in transit for 3 days, then sat in customs for a week... Not much point paying for ultra-fast delivery when the major delay is state employees.
VAT + a small amount of duty + Parcel Farce extortion fee paid online yesterday, as soon as they deigned to notify me.

oddly, my customs form from OF said it was exempt. maybe because it was swiss made and being imported back into europe?

Lucie
28-03-2014, 11:06 AM
I think I might email them about the duty to see if they know the score / what usually happens for UIK customers.

Do you think the Knew concept saw is significantly better than any other - trying to justify the cost ;)
I absolutely hate my current basic adjustable saw frame!

medusa
28-03-2014, 11:09 AM
I love it, but Jill who does pretty intricate piercing work hated it. Maybe get to try one out before buying? What I can say is I seem to be able to saw in a straight line now but my piercing work is pretty limited at the moment, though my original frame was pretty basic and cheap. The worse thing I find is fitting the blades. it's a bit fiddly and if they break then you can't re-use them like with an adjustable frame.

Lucie
28-03-2014, 11:13 AM
Yup - Sawing in a straight line is my downfall too lol. Think I'll have to order it & hide the packaging from hubby. "What, this old thing?" :-"

Almost forgot; what size is yours?

ps_bond
28-03-2014, 11:55 AM
oddly, my customs form from OF said it was exempt. maybe because it was swiss made and being imported back into europe?

Exempt? Wonder why.

Usually, it's VAT on items > £15 (including postage...) + customs duty if the goods are > £135 (but it's waived if < £9 duty) + excise duty (where appropriate). Plus Parcel Farce's handling charge if that's who's shipping it.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/post/buying.htm#3

medusa
28-03-2014, 02:02 PM
Yup - Sawing in a straight line is my downfall too lol. Think I'll have to order it & hide the packaging from hubby. "What, this old thing?" :-"

Almost forgot; what size is yours?
uuum I think it's 3"? not sure really. It looks a bit too space-agey to pass off as old junk. Even Mr Medusa was "oooh that looks interesting!"

Exempt? Wonder why.

Usually, it's VAT on items > £15 (including postage...) + customs duty if the goods are > £135 (but it's waived if < £9 duty) + excise duty (where appropriate). Plus Parcel Farce's handling charge if that's who's shipping it.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/post/buying.htm#3

I think if something has originated in the european community, then you don't have to pay some of the charges in some circumstances. I should have made a note of the exemption notice and checked it out.

caroleallen
28-03-2014, 07:05 PM
I got some with my foredom, but… Maybe I'm putting them on the wrong way round?

I bought Jill's Knew concept saw off her. Love it. won't fit in the foredom though.

Do you screw the end with a screwdriver Liz? Mine don't come off.

Lucie
28-03-2014, 08:54 PM
Ah of course, I've just realised what you ment earlier - Carole's completely right. You have to tighten the little screw at the end. It squeezes the rubber and makes it bulge out at the sides to hold the sanding drum in place. x

medusa
28-03-2014, 11:47 PM
Do you screw the end with a screwdriver Liz? Mine don't come off.

Ah of course, I've just realised what you ment earlier - Carole's completely right. You have to tighten the little screw at the end. It squeezes the rubber and makes it bulge out at the sides to hold the sanding drum in place. x

ummmm…. :-"

will double check next time….

Nick martin
29-03-2014, 09:19 AM
My favourites are burrs, sanding mandrels ( use small elastic band to hold in place ).. But ultimately it's got to be my wolf belt sander. Super little thing and quite a time saver too.

Nick

Lucie
29-03-2014, 10:00 AM
You lot are seriously bad for my bank account lol. Is that for cleaning up rough castings Nick?

Nick martin
29-03-2014, 03:42 PM
The split mandrels with different grades of sandpaper yes, and I tend to use the belt sander on items I have cast using cuttlefish. Usually where I want the top part textured and the underside perfectly smooth and level

Nick martin
29-03-2014, 04:25 PM
I also use it to prep surfaces for soldering, to do the donkey work before refining with hand files, and as the belts are available in varying grits it's just a great time saving tool.

Nick