PDA

View Full Version : remake from scratch or augment?

medusa
26-03-2014, 08:28 PM
OK, this is a follow on from my other thread about gauges.

The client wanted a 2mm thick ring and has found it too thin. He thinks that it is 1mm. It's not, it's just that he over-estimated how thick 2mm actually is. I apparently made it too big in diameter anyway so he is sending it back to me. He has been a regular customer so I do want to keep him happy.

So I can fix the error in the diameter, but he won't be happy because it will be too thin. So I need to make him happy. I can do this by:

a) Making a new ring from thicker wire which will cost him the same price again (which what with hallmarking etc was a significant amount) and leave him with an unwearable ring.

b) Making the existing ring thicker, by adding on another ring. This will cost me a small amount in silver but him nothing.

However, whilst the latter is obviously most preferable as it is cheaper for him (assuming he doesn't mind a double design) and I have the silver, how realistic is it to do the latter? Am I making a rod for my own back in trying to basically solder two rings together?

Dennis
26-03-2014, 08:51 PM
My problem here Liz, is that on another thread you corrected me and said it was a bangle, not a ring at all. The only reason I am quibbling is that I am trying to assess your potential loss.

From my experience in busines, I would say that these things happen quite rarely and it is better to keep goodwill and suffer an occasional loss. So If you think you can bring it to a satisfactory conclusion, make it again free and with a good heart.

If you see no hope of resolution, then say so and refund him. Sometimes wire can be re-used. At worst it it for your scrap pot.

caroleallen
26-03-2014, 09:43 PM
I would say that as its a silver ring, your main cost is in the hallmarking. The cost of the metal is negligible. I would give him various choices -

Solder another ring to it

Make another ring and don't bother with hallmarking

Make another ring and send it for hallmarking only when you've got a parcel of stuff

Tabby66
26-03-2014, 09:48 PM
I'm with Dennis on this one Liz, the goodwill (of a good customer particularly) is worth the potential loss,....and by the time you've faffed around trying to make it thicker and 'looking' right, some of that financial loss in material costs will have been saved by just making it (more quickly) from scratch again??!!!

let us know what you decide :)

xx

Wallace
26-03-2014, 09:56 PM
wouldn't you still need to send it back to the assay office if you add more than 10% of the original weight - or did I dream that somewhere???

I guess the principle is the same whether one thought it a ring or a bangle (although I read it to be a ring, but that maybe because I was skim reading and ogling at the lovely gauges, I mean looking at some research of best tools) ;)

In this case, if it were me where you are Liz, I would go back to the customer and see what they wanted with a range of solutions you feel you can offer.

medusa
27-03-2014, 08:09 AM
Its ring shaped but neither a ring nor a bangle. As it is currently it doesn't need hallmarking but I send most things off to be done. That said I only get maybe one order a month at the moment so hallmarking is a large cost.

I'll offer to do a thicker one for free but tell him it won't be hallmarked. I have sone 3mm x2mm oval wire I think.

Myosotis
27-03-2014, 09:00 AM
I think I know what it is :o

I think your solution is the best one - especially as he was prepared to admit it was too big for him. Surprised 2mm ID makes such a difference though.

LydiaNiz
27-03-2014, 09:22 AM
Agreed, if it is under the weight, remake and don't hallmark. I'm not sure you can accept a return on this one if I've read correctly...

medusa
27-03-2014, 11:15 AM
I think I know what it is :o

I think your solution is the best one - especially as he was prepared to admit it was too big for him. Surprised 2mm ID makes such a difference though.

every mm counts.

Agreed, if it is under the weight, remake and don't hallmark. I'm not sure you can accept a return on this one if I've read correctly...

well if it turns out I did mis-measure then a return is fine. I suppose that in making it round I could have stretched it a bit too far and it has caused the wire to become thinner than I thought, especially with polishing.

LydiaNiz
27-03-2014, 11:33 AM
I thought it might be for a body part/piercing that a return would be unsuitable for. (Did that make any sense?) I think you're doing all you can really.

medusa
27-03-2014, 02:39 PM
some people here really need to drag their minds out of the gutter.

Wallace
27-03-2014, 02:50 PM

Well if you are being serious, I shall apologise, not intending to be anything other than silly, as can happen in many threads. But can't resist a little nibble..... Oooh, errr!

Makes me wonder though, 2 mm is too thin.... But the girth is too big ( can I mention girth' should I say width?)...

medusa
27-03-2014, 02:54 PM
we really need a sniffing-nose-in-the-air-but-with-a-sly-look smilie.

caroleallen
27-03-2014, 03:32 PM
I can be so dense sometimes!

Myosotis
27-03-2014, 03:43 PM

"We are all in the gutter, but some us are looking at the stars" ;-)
Good old Oscar

Although some us us really need to stop looking at 44mm on our rulers and do some work

medusa
27-03-2014, 03:52 PM
"We are all in the gutter, but some us are looking at the stars" ;-)
Good old Oscar

Although some us us really need to stop looking at 44mm on our rulers and do some work

OK, I nearly posted something which would get me banned. I'm going to be good now. :)

CJ57
27-03-2014, 03:59 PM
Has everyone got their Benny Hill glasses on, he has a lot to answer for to this lost generation :)

medusa
27-03-2014, 04:13 PM
I'm more of a "Carry On" girl :)

Wallace
27-03-2014, 04:16 PM
I'm more of a "Carry On" girl :)

oooh, errr Matron!

LydiaNiz
27-03-2014, 04:27 PM
Is this because of what I said??? I didn't intend anything rude, I just assumed something ring shaped that was not a ring or bangle, but was ring shaped, might be for a piercing. In which case you might not want to accept it back if it had been tried on - certainly didn't mean anything weird. Or did I miss something?

Myosotis
27-03-2014, 04:42 PM
Is this because of what I said??? I didn't intend anything rude, I just assumed something ring shaped that was not a ring or bangle, but was ring shaped, might be for a piercing. In which case you might not want to accept it back if it had been tried on - certainly didn't mean anything weird. Or did I miss something?

I take it you've never looked at Medusa's website?

Wallace
27-03-2014, 04:42 PM

nope, it was me :)

normally get myself into trouble at some point... I mentioned about 2mm and sizes and owning up to such a size gap.... my bad, but as it is a public forum, I deleted my post for the better part of discretion.

CJ57
27-03-2014, 04:43 PM
I'm more Cissie and Ada or watching Allo Allo just now, I lead such an exciting life :/

medusa
27-03-2014, 05:24 PM

It's not something I'd accept as a return, although I do offer a resizing service. But as he is a good customer, I'm going to offer him a remake in thicker wire but not hallmark it.

Lucie
27-03-2014, 05:27 PM
I think I'd accept it back, but might pop it straight into the ultrasonic - or at least politely suggest that he might want to give it a rinse first ;)

medusa
27-03-2014, 05:29 PM
I'm actually snorting tea all over my keyboard. If my laptop with all my work on it dies, you guys are buying me a new one! :rofl:

surfergirl
27-03-2014, 05:39 PM
But as he is a good customer, I'm going to offer him a remake in thicker wire but not hallmark it.

Another one who thinks this would be the best solution.

I was sniggering too, Liz! Read this thread at work and burst out laughing, especially at Wallace's comment! Sorry Wallace :D

Keia
27-03-2014, 07:14 PM
I would remake from scratch to save faffing around. I'm extremely curious to know what it is though =O xx

medusa
27-03-2014, 07:23 PM
I would remake from scratch to save faffing around. I'm extremely curious to know what it is though =O xx

yup, trying to solder two rings together would not be easy, I don't think. and it's a ring. or a very small bangle. I'm just asked to make the thing. I don't go interrogating the client. :cool:

Wallace
27-03-2014, 07:43 PM
oh no worries from me. Mind is a murky as Loch Ness and there is something mysterious and supposedly big in there too, since we are skirting around the subject :-"

Keia
27-03-2014, 07:43 PM
yup, trying to solder two rings together would not be easy, I don't think. and it's a ring. or a very small bangle. I'm just asked to make the thing. I don't go interrogating the client. :cool:

If it could be a small bangle, but might be a ring - sounds like he has big fingers then =) xx

ps_bond
27-03-2014, 07:48 PM
...since we are skirting around the subject :-"

For the best, given our hosts request that things stay family-friendly :)

Wallace
27-03-2014, 07:57 PM
For the best, given our hosts request that things stay family-friendly :)

oh, agreed in full. Worse things happen on the news of course.

CJ57
27-03-2014, 08:20 PM
Now Wallace, don't bring Nessie into it :)

Wallace
27-03-2014, 09:15 PM
you are right, comparison may be a little off. ;)

Tabby66
27-03-2014, 10:39 PM
hahaha.....this has made me smile.....what the imagination can....well imagine......tell him it's 'bangle' size Liz and that's why the metal has gone thinner, I'm sure that will keep your customer happy ;D......and as for Nessie, well, I guess that is another figment of the imagination......+o(