PDA

View Full Version : Uploading pictures (Again)

Dennis
20-03-2014, 07:24 PM
Today I'm having problems uploading pictures from my computer, using the paperclip function. What happens is that when I press 'browse' the whole screen freezes and eventually I have to shut down.

I have tried doing this with Internet Explorer and also Firefox, without success.

I know that I could upload to Photobucket, and probably send them from there, but there are quite a few and it would be a real pain for me.

Is there any way to alert Dave to have a look at this? Dennis.

ps_bond
20-03-2014, 08:10 PM
I'll bung a post in the appropriate place - but that does sound to me that it may be at your end. Have you tried the usual thing of clearing cookies?

Dennis
20-03-2014, 10:16 PM
Thanks Peter, when I log off it says 'all cookies cleared'. I have just looked at forum actions, but could find nothing about cookies there. Is there something else?

This is the current state of my attachments. Should I delete some?

Attachment Statistics
You are currently using 14.29 MB to store 369 uploaded attachments. Dennis.

ps_bond
20-03-2014, 10:37 PM
It's not a forum action, it's under browser settings. That said, if both IE and Firefox are doing it I'm possibly barking up the wrong tree. There's no way that your current attachments should affect opening a window on your PC - with the obvious caveat that I've used the word "should".

TeeDee
01-04-2014, 02:43 PM
Peter,
Are there any simple instructions or tips on posting photos? I managed once a while ago but tried again a couple of days ago using the advanced screen using 'Insert Image' . After I eventually found the photo I wanted in our picture library (Windows 7) I tried to upload but it just 'failed' The whole process seemed to take forever.
My settings suggest I should be able to drag and drop from somewhere but not sure where. Have tried copy/paste but that doesn't work either.
Any advice gratefully received
Tim

TeeDee
02-04-2014, 09:45 AM
Peter,
Are there any simple instructions or tips on posting photos? I managed once a while ago but tried again a couple of days ago using the advanced screen using 'Insert Image' . After I eventually found the photo I wanted in our picture library (Windows 7) I tried to upload but it just 'failed' The whole process seemed to take forever.
My settings suggest I should be able to drag and drop from somewhere but not sure where. Have tried copy/paste but that doesn't work either.
Any advice gratefully received
Tim
Not sure if Peter saw this one but if anyone can give advice it would be appreciated. I seem to be really restricted in what photos I can upload as the process usually ends up in a fail.
Thanks
Tim

ps_bond
02-04-2014, 10:16 AM
Sorry Tim - missed it. What size was the image you were trying to upload? The forum sw isn't desperately communicative in its error messages - could you try a 640x480 to start with, that shouldn't upset it.

TeeDee
02-04-2014, 10:38 AM
Ah... thanks Peter, I did just manage to upload one to another post but didn't check the size. The ones I wanted to post failed so I'll check the size of a few. I know some are >1Mb so hopefully there are ways of compressing or downsizing. Some of our pictures are via iPad/iPhone but others are by DSLR. Somehow or other they all end up on the pc and in my wife's photoshop system so even finding them is a bit of mystery sometimes.

I'll do some research on downsizing....unless of course you have any instant answers.
Many thanks
Tim

Dennis
02-04-2014, 01:59 PM
Hi Tim, I amjust another member struggling with IT usage, so forgive me if some of what I say makes no sense.

You will see that when I started this thread, I was struggling to post pictures here, even though I have done so successfully for some years. When Peter suggested that I was alone in this and the problem was probably at my end, I tried using another much newer computer and had no trouble at all. This suggests that if for some rason your device is very slow, as my old computer was, that could cause a problem.

The way to post thumbnails is very much as you would send attachmernts by email, starting with the paperclip in 'Go advanced', then browse, then upload picture. The only difference is that you must do one picture at a time, which often takes about 30seconds. Also when all pictures are uploaded, you must close the browser window. You can also preview your post to confirm that the pictures are there.

Pictures must be in JPEG format, and I find it convenient to reduce the size to between 600 and 700Kb using Photoshop, before storing them in Windows photoviewer. If you want to copy and paste a URL, you can only do so from another website, such as Photobucket. Dennis.

TeeDee
03-04-2014, 05:59 PM
Thanks for that Dennis,
With your info and that given by another member in a PM hopefully I should be able to master it soon. It does seem also that size is a problem so I'll be looking at compressing (if that's still the right term) some of them. I have to admit that I thought the drag and drop setting would be a simple D&D as with other Windows processes.
I think the pressures of retirement seem to be such that I struggle to keep up with technology now!
Tim

Dennis
03-04-2014, 10:05 PM
Well Tim, if you open a picture with Photoshop (I have Elements 10), Even if you do nothing more but Just go to-File-Save as-then find the file to save it in.

Give it a new name, or add a number and make sure it is in JPEG format, using the drop down menu. Then press Save and at that point it will allow you to choose a size.

Dennis.

TeeDee
04-04-2014, 05:16 PM
59185919Thanks again Dennis. My wife has Photoshop Elements 7 and knows more about the black art than me so she has resized a couple for me to try. No doubt with practice I'll be able to get them at the bottom of the post.
Still learning about how to deal with lighting and reflections etc but at least we are moving forward now.
Well Tim, if you open a picture with Photoshop (I have Elements 10), Even if you do nothing more but Just go to-File-Save as-then find the file to save it in.

Give it a new name, or add a number and make sure it is in JPEG format, using the drop down menu. Then press Save and at that point it will allow you to choose a size.

Dennis.

Tim

ps_bond
04-04-2014, 05:29 PM
If you just need to crop, resize and similar (limited) editing, then may I suggest Irfanview (http://www.irfanview.com/)? Marvellous little free Window program - and fast too.
There is also the Gnu Image Manipulation Program - gimp (http://www.gimp.org/) which, while lagging Photoshop, is still more than most need. And free as well.

TeeDee
04-04-2014, 05:38 PM
Thanks Peter,
Have now learnt how to resize in 2 different ways and will look at your suggestions as well for other simple editing.
I could get my wife to do it all for me but:
a - I need to learn myself
b - It will cost me a fortune in Maltesers!
Tim

Tabby66
04-04-2014, 07:13 PM
haha Tim, maltesers, your wife has good taste!!

Nice pieces, btw, both have a lovely finish :)

TeeDee
05-04-2014, 02:13 PM
haha Tim, maltesers, your wife has good taste!!

Nice pieces, btw, both have a lovely finish :)

Jill,
Thanks for the confidence booster.
When I look at your work and that of many of the other Senior Members, it's very easy to feel a bit of a 'lightweight'
After a lifetime of doing something else, I know I am still at the foot of the mountain but you'd be surprised at how much impact a small amount of encouragement has. (and I'm sure I speak for many others).
All the best
Tim
PS If we ever meet you be sure to hit me for some Maltesers.