PDA

View Full Version : Bail ideas?

Sandra
20-03-2014, 10:25 AM
Hello everyone, I need help with ideas for a bail for a pendant I am working on! I'd like something wider than the typical bail, and one that doesn't need to be attached over the front of the pendant or it will spoil my design. I've looked through all my books and searched online but can't seem to find anything!

medusa
20-03-2014, 02:11 PM
tube bail?

Sandra
20-03-2014, 02:23 PM
Yes I could picture a tube bail, in fact was just searching the internet on how to create one but no luck so far. I suppose I could find a ready made silver tube and cut it. Not sure offhand how I'd attach it. Hmmm. In fact I think I have an old set of sterling silver straws i could use, they were never practical to actually use for drinks.

CJ57
20-03-2014, 03:10 PM
You can buy ready made tube from cookies Sandra but it depends on the proportions of your pendant. The interior dimension has to be large enough to get your chain through comfortably and with jiggle room for movement and then you would just solder it on to the back. The alternative would be to have the equivalent of a half tube, a little rectangle of silver sheet shaped around a triblet and then soldered in place at each end. Either works really well and can't be seen and means that your chain or wire will run across the back depending on how high or low you place the bail and not above the pendant

You could do exactly the same with a heavier wire or half a heavy bolt ring as your bail in this situation is providing a use rather than being particularly decorative

LydiaNiz
20-03-2014, 05:40 PM
Here are a few I've done with simple tube bails

this one has the tube behind the top, and a shorter length at the bottom so it sits tidily

Dennis
20-03-2014, 05:48 PM
Hi Sandra,

I have to admit that I am very prejudiced against conventional bails and if a pendant is already very busy in its design, a simple jump ring or two, at the top, at the sides or behind will do the job.

For snake chain, I mostly use curved tubing, connected with jump rings. Otherwise the design of the pendant might suggest the hanger. For instance if there are leaves, a curled leaf could be used, If there's a cat, a curled mouse would be fun.

I have lots of pictures to show you, but at present the paperclip function on the forum does not work. In the mean time, you could look at the two examples in my album, using the link below, Dennis.

Sandra
20-03-2014, 06:48 PM
Thank you everyone, it has helped a lot! I really appreciate that you posted pictures Dennis, thanks so much.

Dennis
21-03-2014, 12:16 PM
Lydia has already shown some of her pendants, where the means of hanging is part of the design. As promised, here are a few of mine. Dennis

Sandra
21-03-2014, 02:38 PM
Thanks Dennis! And I just realised I thanked the wrong person for the pics posted previously, it was meant to be Lydia, sorry! The pictures do help a lot so I really appreciate them.