PDA

View Full Version : 9ct white gold

Silvercrow
18-03-2014, 08:03 AM
I recently purchased some white gold from cooksons to make an engagement ring. I have used gold several times so am not new to this. The wire was 2mm round. I annealed it to bend it I then proceeded to solder it. The second time of heating to solder a top piece the gold fractured almost at every point possible.

I could understand if I over heated or something or too many times, but I didn't.

I noticed before beginning that the metal was different to the last piece I had. There was sort of a shiney mottled layer, similar to when you begin to reticulate silver. I do have a photo of before heating but not to hand.

I just wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem? I thought it might have been down to cooling down too quickly - I did not quench I did leave to cool on its own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dennis
18-03-2014, 11:03 AM
White gold suffers if overheated, heated repeatedly when already annealed and when quenched while still glowing. Also if you are not doing so, it is best to use only medium solder.

That said, if you are already experienced and the wire you were sent looked peculiar, it is always possible that the fault is in the metal. I would phone Cooksons helpline:

0121 212 6421 for advice. Let us know how you get on. Welcome to the forum, Dennis.